It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Got Summarit 35mm f2.5 for my M 240
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:18 pm 

I've only had my M 240 for about 6 weeks & wanted to add a 35mm to my other 3 lenses (Tele-Elmarit 90mm, Planar 50mm & Skopar 21mm). I really wanted to find a used Summicron 35mm f2, but the reviews of the Summarit 35mm f2.5 by Sean Reid & Steve Huff, plus the strong recommendations of an experienced Leica friend in NYC caused me to get a mint used one from a NJ Leica dealer (Bergen Camera) for about half what I would have to pay for a used Summicron.

I just got it a couple of days ago & so far I am most pleased with it. It probably isn't as sharp as my Planar (but not much else really is), but the colors are bright, clear & very pleasing. The size is just perfect for my plans to leave it on most of the time, & it seems a very worthy addition, rounding out my 4 lens kit. I will report back when I have had more experience with it.

Post subject: Re: Just Got Summarit 35mm f2.5 for my M 240
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:59 pm 

Good deal, Jed. 35mm is a great "walking around" focal length.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:40 am 

My most enjoyable photography experience ever I think was when I got my Fuji X100 with its permanent 23mm f2 lens. This 35mm equivalent was such a great focal length, & I really thought about getting one again for about what I paid just for the Summarit 35mm. But I really don't want to carry around two camera bodies (I'm not a pro; I don't need a back up), & I really enjoy the interchangeable lens experiences. So I'm heading out today with this 35mm on my M to try some street photography with it, or anything else that happens along. Since I'm also still not focusing with the RF patch as fast as I would like many times, I will also try some zone or hyperfocal focus to see how that works with this lens.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:08 pm 

Yesterday I went out with the new Summarit 35 on my M & tried taking some street photos in Palm Springs where they are holding their annual International Film Festival - so lots of visitors. And I think it will take some getting used to zone focusing with it. But the focus tab on the lens really is helpful; I can set aperture at f8 & tab straight down gives me about 1.5 meters & a quick 45 degree change in both directions gives me either .8 or 3-5 meters focus with pretty fair DOF on either side. Here are just a few of the 75 street photos that I took with it yesterday.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:23 pm 

And just walking around in the community where I live in the CA desert, I took these photos. What I really have to remember coming from a cropped sensor Fuji is that this Summarit 35mm is really more of a wide angle than anything else. So it all about getting a lot closer to the subject & watching out more carefully for what is playing at the edges. But I like the colors & tonality that this lens renders. I'm still also really getting used to the way the M meters, & need to work on that as I'm seeing more underexposed than properly exposed at times.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:11 pm 

You go, Jed! Seems like you're off to a great start. Just out of curiosity, are you using Lightroom, or some other software? (I use Lightroom 5).

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:42 pm 

James Lehrer wrote:
You go, Jed! Seems like you're off to a great start. Just out of curiosity, are you using Lightroom, or some other software? (I use Lightroom 5).

James - Thanks for this encouragement. There just seems to be something about a Leica lens on a Leica camera. I even think my somewhat ancient Tele-Elmarit 90mm perked up a bit when I first put it on my new-to-me M 240.

I am not using Lightroom even though my M came with an unused authorization to download the latest version (which I did). I used LR extensively in the past with my Nikon D7000, but when I went over to the Fuji X system, I started using Aperture (I'm also a Mac user) because I thought it handled the X sensor pattern (non-Beyer) better. LR pushed the greens too much, & I found Aperture more intuitive. I also really objected to Adobe's new pay-as-you-go business model. Parenthetically, you might be aware that the Fuji X system was a challenge for many of the editors, particularly Raw conversion. So I am still using Aperture, but I also beta tested the new Serif Affinity Photo software & have their first release installed with a view to shifting over to it when I am more conversant with it. It runs a lot like Photoshop, you buy it outright for $40-$50, & is faster plus more user friendly than PS in my opinion. But getting the new camera has caused me to divert most of my attention to learning it rather than the Serif program. Sorry for the long winded, indirect answer to your direct question - an old work habit I guess.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:34 am 

Not at all...very informative. I'm getting along with the older version (LR5) that came with the new M-E, but a recent LVL thread on software got me curious about alternatives. Once I get to know a particular software, I'm not enthusiastic about changing unless the benefits are really substantial.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:19 pm 

I went through the on-line advertisement for Serif Affinity Photo, and it does look very interesting, and is certainly reasonably priced, with a special price of $39.00. One question though...are there any issues regarding compatibility of the software with the M9 or any of the common M-lenses? I tried to see if there is a gear compatibility list for the software, but didn't find one.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:04 pm 

I just found a supported cameras list for Affinity, on-line. The M9 and M-E are supported.
However, I didn't find any Affinity Photo "how-to" books on Amazon. I can usually figure out the more intuitive software myself, but now and then I find a guidebook helpful.