It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuji X Shooters
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to admit, the X100 really caught my eye back in 2010, as it did many. Now Fujifilm's released the X100s (though with admittedly mild updates)...

But what about the X-Pro1? Loving the fact that you can interchange (and adapt) lenses.

Any Fuji X shooters out there?

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Fuji X Shooters
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm 

Greetings- I too was attracted to the Fuji's.. I have used an X100 for a while now and am impressed. Its oddball, with finicky AF and strange menu format, but it sounds those issues may have been fixed with the X100S. The lens (equivalent 35mm in 35mm format) is quite nice, and the image results are great. It does colors particularly well. It does not rival the quality of my Leica M9/Summicron 35mm setup, though, nor did I expect it to. But all in all the X100 is a fun (and great-looking) camera. I'd like to see a full-frame Fuji however, as their interchangeable glass is great.

The X10 (smaller than the X100) is a nice camera too, albeit more toward the point-and-shoot end of the spectrum - I carry it in my Leica bag sometimes in the event I want to shoot a small movie clip or something. Its also handy and easy for others to use - better than handing them my M9 : )

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

True, there's the AF update which is supposed to be really fast now. That alone is probably worthwhile. It does sound like a fun camera, and of course looks good too. My problem with small cameras generally tends to be the fact that I need my glasses to operate them (e.g. reading all the menus). I like that the X100/X-Pro1 are "retro" and have intuitive manual control dials. And the hybrid displays seem awesome to me...

I could easily shoot one focal length all day, but I think for the purpose of the camera that I have in mind (portable do everything) it would be limiting. The fast speed of f/2 is nice though. I guess this is what's attracting me to the X-Pro1; more lens options - especially being able to use the M glass I already have (at the expense of AF). I'd love a full frame, compact camera with a moderate zoom (say 24-70mm) though.

I think you're right though; the X-10 is a bit too P&S for my tastes, despite the attractive zoom.

Tough choice(s) as they all seem nice in their own way!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm 

The X-Pro line was very tempting to me. Terrific IQ, solid build, and a lot less expensive than an M-9.

But then I handled them. Didn't like the EVF at all. And, while you can use your M glass, the X-Pro doesn't have focus peaking. So you have to use their 10x magnification feature, focus, then re-frame. Clunky. And I've read reports that the adapters aren't wonderful and can produce soft images (although it's probably photog error).

So it's really best to use their lenses (excellent) and AF. Which is fine unless, like me, one of the things you love about rangefinders is the act of manual focusing.

On the other hand, my son has an X-10 and he loves it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, interesting (counter) perspective.

With only magnification available, you're right - focusing M lenses manually that way doesn't seem... Ideal. Though I suppose it's not the end of the world. At least it's an option and you're right - if you want AF, suck it up and get the XF lenses. At least they're very good from what I've seen.

The new M should be interesting in a lot of ways. Bringing us the focus peaking and EVF options, etc. Fun times ahead I think. I just shudder at the cost. :O

I dig the X10... You just have to take it for what it is (more P&S). Right now I'm using a Canon S95, which is a similar (great) form factor. I used to use a G9 which I ended up selling. Still not convinced that was a smart move though.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 am 

I took a chance - picked up an XE1 with the M adapter, attracted to the prospect of shooting M glass a la live-view. I don't expect it to knock my socks off, but I am looking forward to not having to squint through the M9 viewfinder. The latter is not all that bad, but it can be a bummer if I am in a hurry. I got the kit zoom, which I am not quite sure about.. Haven't used a zoom in a while and also have no ideas for it. Maybe I will if the AF vibe sinks in.. :-). All in all though I am looking forward to trying the rig out. I'd call it an experiment at this early stage.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahh, nice! Congrats! Do tell how you make out with it. I think the kit zoom is supposed to be pretty good (though the 35 is the most popular).

I have to admit, there are times where I really miss AF - and a zoom. Shooting via LCD I think I can do without, but it does come in handy. I was out shooting one time, wearing my polarized sunglasses... At one point, I couldn't figure out why the hell the camera wouldn't turn on. Turns out the LCD was also polarized - and the sunglasses promptly blocked it. :p

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 pm 

I bought the X Pro-1 I guess to not worry so much about the heft and expense (fear) of carrying my M8 for personal shooting--family outings, Disney, etc. Plus, I have just never been satisfied with the M8...the magenta shift was a pain, the noisy shutter, poor performance at ISO >320....etc. I do like the look and weight of the X Pro-1, the way it feels in the hand, and the finish. It's taken a good bit of getting used to, though, especially the digital viewfinder that everyone raves about. Some of the buttons are difficult or let's say not facile to reach quickly while you're shooting. The 35mm kit lens feels light and slightly plastic-ey. And I really have not been as impressed with the IQ, although after running through CS5, I guess they are alright. I'm also not sure how I feel about it not being a rangefinder. I may be spoiled, but I just like rangerfinders. So, I sold my M8, an old 5D (Mk I) that was collecting dust, and my DLux--although I really liked that too. I'm scrounging to save for the M 240. If it compares favorably to the X Pro-1, I'm saying bye to the Fuji.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:59 pm 

Here's a couple decent shot--the first is indoors, with horrid tungsten (?) gym lighting. Heavily photoshopped. Second is outdoors, mildly unsharpened. The needlework on the dress is faded so it is, in fact, pink.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 am 

Ok, so I have messed around a bit with the Fuji X-E1 this weekend. I was zoom-o-phobic and picked up the Fuji 18mm f/2.0 lens instead. The zoom is large on the camera body, though not all that heavy. And I just feel weird with a zoom. So I got the 18mm - its a much better fit for the camera. The lens and camera handle well together and its fun. Build quality feels a little flimsy - both camera and lens, and they lack the solid feel of the X100. Actually they're pretty close in comparison, but the size/weight/density/build quality of the X100 just feels much better in the hand. But, the X-E1 has a WAY better AF rigging. (Not a huge surprise there.) The write speed is about the same as the X100, slightly faster, but in the scheme of things they are both slow. I have taken a number of shots with the X-E1, and I have to say that the X100 is more fun to carry and use. Its smaller, denser, and basically seems to deliver the same results as the X-E1. Except for AF.

I tried the M adaptor out, having been enamored with the possibility of shooting the X-E1 with M lenses - and live-view. But I did not find this very satisfying, as it seemed the EVF and actual focus were not quite in sync. I got soft images at best, and am not sure whether its because my technique sucked or if the rig actually performs this way. In any case, the fun led elsewhere and I never really did get a great vibe from the M-adaptor setup.

So, I took some shots of my M9 and a killer piece of new kit - the Leica Summilux M 35mm f/1.4 w/floating element. The current model. I finally got ahold of one, and it is as awesome as advertised. And its photogenic in its own right, as you can see in the shot below. The DOF with the Fuji X-E1/18mm f/2.0 (shot here at f/2.0) is fairly refined, as the right side of the front ring is in good focus while the left side of the ring is slightly out. Overall the image is fine, but the feel, in general, is a little boring. The most excitement I got out of this shot was looking at the lens on the M9!

I put the pig in the shot for a bit of fun and to get a feel for an out of focus background.

Here at the end of the weekend though, I wish I had spent the time I spent shooting the X-E1, instead shooting the M9/35 Summilux. I think I should stop trying to get Leica M results out of the Fuji... its not fair to the Fuji. Both the X-E1 and the X100 are fine cameras, especially for the price, and I would still prefer one over a basic SLR if I weren't fortunate as I am to have an M kit.

This Fuji thing all started by my fascination of an APC-C sensor in a small package with a nice lens, and AF, that I could carry along with my M gear as a fun and casual AF alternative. I carry a small bag with the M9 and lens attached, 3-4 other lenses, and the X100 (or X10) for AF fun. I shoot seriously with the M9 and not-so-seriously with the X100. Its a fun combo to carry around, and I get a lot of questions from people, and its fun to talk about it. But it is not looking like the X-E1 will be replacing the X100 in my bag anytime soon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.