It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Printer Recommendations
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:41 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

There are some pretty great rebates going on right now for the Canon PIXMA pro9500 and decent rebates for the Epson R2880. Looking at the specs they seem to be pretty similar, but anyone has further insight it would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Printer Recommendations
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:04 am 

Not familiar with the Canon, but I have owned an Epson 3800 for 4 years now. It has been nothing if not reliable, and the print quality is outstanding. It has been superseded by the 3880, which, from what I have read, is even better.

I realize that the 3880 is pricier than the Canon or the R2880, but the larger ink tanks (at least compared with the R2880) will make up for the difference in price from the savings in ink cost, particularly if you intend to do a fair amount of printing.

Cheers,

Antonio

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:57 am 
Master in Training
Master in Training

Thanks Antonio. I constantly hear good things about the Epson printers. I'll have to go see some samples in person

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funny, exactly the opposite of my experience... :)

I had an Epson Stylus PHOTO 1280, complete with bulk (CIS) ink tanks. This thing was the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. Built like the cheap crap that it was. The head would clog constantly. A bronze bushing regularly slipped out of it, which had to be pushed back in. It splotched and splattered - especially on borderless prints. It ate ink (and deposited it in the sump) like it was free - which sadly, it most certainly wasn't. Even the third-party tanks sucked and the yellow leaked the entire time I had it. All of which is a shame because the colors never came out right and you needed to print several versions to get (reasonably close) to what you saw on the screen. I tossed the whole blessed thing in the trash with a smile.

To replace it, I picked up a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark I. Built like a tank, never had a single issue with it as far as the head clogging, parts falling out or failing and it seemed pretty good on ink. Except there was a slight design flaw... And it became VERY unreliable because of a phantom error. Of course, by now it was out of warranty.

Canon was bundling these printers with their cameras so there was a FLOOD of them on forums - people wanting to get the camera for cheap and ditch the printers. So rather than repair the original I grabbed a brand new ("used" or secondhand) Mark II. Minor updates, nothing crazy - but no more issues and it's been rock solid since. And the prints are incredible! I have over a dozen hanging on the walls of my house.

Of course, newer and more high-end printers are better than the consumer/commodity models, regardless of manufacturer. And I've heard decent things about newer Epson printers. Maybe it was just my luck, or the 1280 was a really bad model. But I swore I'd never buy another Epson! YMMV.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:05 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

Ahh the debate wages on. My local giant camera store has quite a few with samples...I'll have to check them out. Thanks guys

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:34 pm 

I think the Epson 1280 was a problematic model, capable of making good prints in a time when there weren't a lot of choices. That said, I never had one. I went the Epson 2200 to Epson 2400 to Epson 3880 route. Have had the 3880 for half a year and so far it's been problem free.

Also worth noting, for making black and white prints I used to go the Quad Tone Rip and/or the MIS Paul Roark designed inks route. This involved printing test strips and measuring them to generate new profiles each time I wanted to use a new paper or a different printer setting. This was a lot of hassle. (It's worth noting, though, that the prints on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag using MIS inks were beautiful.) A few years ago I bought the ImagePrint RIP from ColorByte and since then printing is a lot easier.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:22 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

More good info. Thanks Buckles

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 am 

After a lot of research I went with the Epson 3880 after initially thinking I would get a Pixma. I'm not experienced enough with printing to offer any technical or quality comparisons except I do love the output from the 3880. I'm glad I went at least this size, because 22 x 17 is smaller than I had anticipated, yet still big enough to make wall worthy sized prints.

The good feedback I had read about the Epson 3880 was regarding reliability and low usage. I use mine once a month sometimes and it barely wastes a drop of ink after a lot of inactivity.

Very happy with the purchase. Sometimes wish I had gone bigger again, but that would be complete overkill for me.

Edit: You actually get $500 worth of ink with the Epson 3880.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:07 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

Well the love for the 3880 is resounding. Having looked at it in the store this morning, I don't think I have enough room in my current apartment, even in the ground...that thing is huge :D. Maybe I'll make a point of finding room for it once we move...thanks all anyway.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

These suckers are big, no doubt!

Northlight Images has some of the best printer reviews online. Certainly helped me in deciding (on the Pro9000).

Here's one on the Epson 3880.

• LitPixel