It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leica M9P shutter release
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:02 pm 

I recently bought a new M9P with four lenses. I was a longtime M film shooter, sold that gear off years ago, and when the full frame M9 was released I decided to get back into the M system.

The M9P shutter release is designed so one can press it partially down, to a point of resistance, and lock in an exposure reading, then recompose and shoot. My Canon cameras have a similar function in the shutter release and it works smoothly and perfectly. I find it really difficult to find that first point of resistance with the M9P shutter release. It seems I either press slightly too hard and accidentally trip the shutter prematurely, or do not press it hard enough to lock in the exposure reading. This new camera was in to Leica USA service for some other warranty work and I asked them to check the shutter release function. It does not appear the shutter release was adjusted at all. Do other M users have this problem, i.e. is this a flaw of the camera? I have been shooting professionally for 30+ years and mechanically inclined and well coordinated, but I cannot seem to master this function on the M9P. I bought one of the Thumbs-Up soft touch releases but that does not help with the problem. I am aware of the various options in setting the release but none of those change this issue. I look forward to your responses.

www.WeidmanPhoto.com
Colorado, USA

Post subject: Re: Leica M9P shutter release
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:05 pm 

It took a little getting used to but I got it.
Maybe a soft release button would make it easier for you?

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 pm 

Thanks for the response. I did buy a soft release button from Thumbs-Up, and quite honestly I don't think it really makes a difference. Someone on another Leica forum said it took his shutter release to "break in" after several hundred exposures, at which time it was easier to use the "exposure lock function". I have a couple thousand exposures on the M9P, and so far, no apparent change. Kind of a disappointment in such an expensive piece of gear.

Mark

www.WeidmanPhoto.com
Colorado, USA

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 am 

On my brand new M9-P the shutter stuck a couple of times.
After the panic attack.....and a gentle break in period.......I think it is now fine.
It is a little sensitive but I have gotten quite used to it.