It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: keep the m9?
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:26 pm 

A small suggestion: If you're shooting the slux wide open - and that's why most shooters buy them - I can see taking a bit longer to focus. Maybe bump the ISO and stop down a little. Won't have to be quite as precise.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:18 am 

The interesting thing here - and it’s a long discussion - is when to make moves into other cameras and formats. I think we're all in that conundrum.

Sensors will evolve into flawless ISO 12,800 @ 32 or more megapixels very quickly (They’re there in DSLRs now).. I would, personally, not invest in a big, heavy, fast lens unless you’re just crazy for wild bokeh. A small, perfect f/2 lens will be plenty. Invest in those for the future - not the past.

I also think you may be, as am I, a rangefinder guy at heart. I played with DSLRs, but I came back when I realized that the most satisfying experiences I had were with RFs. My old pocket camera was an Olympus XA - one of my my favorite cameras ever. When that camera went down, my wife gave me a Minolta TC-1. A terrific camera that I still shoot today. But not a rangefinder. And I didn’t enjoy using it as much. Nor did I the DSLRs that I had through the 90's and 2000's.

And, when I wanted to renew my love of photography recently, I thought about that. I decided that what I really needed to do was spend some time with my first camera - a IIIF that I bought for $60 when I was 13 - and see if the rangefinder was what I was missing. It was. AF was a step that seemed to take me out of the picture. The camera can be a 5D with a terrific lens, or a cheap little Lumix - it doesn’t matter; it’s still a point and shoot. I want the results of the shot to be something that came from me and not the camera. I want my skills to be part of the process ( and I practice focus, so that I’m close before the camera gets to my eye - BTW, this speaks to having a set of same make lenses; you need to have the focus throw and bump/finger tab consistent).

So... while committed to rangefinders, we look for solutions. Low light, in particular. I love my M9 and take it up to 1250, but, as we all know, it’s not optimal. The MM, from what I see, is a huge improvement... and maybe the M will prove to be, as well. But I think, most probably, it’s a little behind on the curve. My advice, as personal as it may be:

Hold out for the next generation before spending huge amounts on a new Leica. Give it four or five years. Wait for the next generation.

If you need a low light camera in the meantime, try the RX-1. Or, as I’m doing, wait to see what Ricoh is going to do with their M module on the GX-R. If that sensor improves, jump on it. It’s a cool little camera, nearly silent, with focus peaking (which is, at least, manual). No, it’s not full frame. But then, as I said, with improved sensors it really won’t make a difference. And you’ll be using glass you already own.

Interesting times, interesting decisions...

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:53 am 

Arf.. More food for thought.

Just noticed I've got my M9's sensor dirty. I tried to wet clean it and partial success. It doesn't look like a blast from shotgun anymore and is manageable with spotting tool in PP. But I hate doing unnecessary work in PP. So now I'm wondering wether to send it in for cla.. at 2 years old I suppose it could use a rf adjustment as well. Nothing to really complain about with focusing accuracy, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

But the thing is:

a) cla @Solms is in the 250€ region
b) M9-p upgrade would get the cla automatically + saphire screen + 1 year warranty for 1250€
c) M(240) upgrade should be in 2000€ region: has 2 years of warranty, newer technology that might help my focusing..

Now a and c are far apart. But a and b might be something to consider.. and if I go for b, then c isn't much further. Oh what a can of worms..

Right now stuck between b and c.

As for the original topic I decided the heck with it. I'll worry about future tele/af needs when the situation gets more accute. At that point I can justify upgrading my wifes camera to what ever small system camera with fast af is available.. next iteration of om-d or something like that.

So keep the M in one form or the other.

--Juha

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:04 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

I'd say hold off on the "proper" CLA, especially if you think the only issue is a dirty sensor; just take it to a local camera shop you trust to clean the sensor (maybe 50euro). Option 3 sounds like the best in your situation. Also th used prices on M9Ps are falling just as fast as the M9s, so that 1250euro upgrade sounds like the worst option in you're situation..

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:28 am 

It depends a little.. if fex I end up deciding to keep the 9 for years to come, then it might not be so bad. The sapphire glass etc might actually be of use then.

Just to verify my options I contacted my dealer and decided to negotiate a bit on the new M part-ex deal. Let's see where that gets me.

Also contacted my trusted Leica service guy who said he can take a look at the sensor and if it's not too bad then clean it. But he can't say for sure before taking a look, wether he can or can't clean it. If the crap is in "bad spots" and tight, then it might need a trip to Solms.

And one thing is also if I go for just sensor cleaning is that it would leave me enough money to upgrade my 50 lux pre-asph to current 50 aspherical.. which is also interesting option.

So far keeping my options open and definitely investigating all possibilities.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 pm 

Crap.. I guess the prices of M9's are going down here as well. If I grab on it now, trade to M will be 2500€.

Trading the 50 slux to slux asph would be 1500€. And then at least the sensor cleanup on top..

Tough choices.. need to sleep on this for sure. Both options are really tempting.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:46 pm 

Well, just to update on my public thinking process...

I did the brave & unthinkable... Temptation won. I part-exed my M9.

But don't worry, I should have it until february-march timeframe. After that, I think you all guessed by now what time it is..

Quick hint: 240

That's all I'm going to say about it. And now it's time to start thinking of ways to pay for it..

--Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 am 

The wait proved to be too much. I cancelled the 240 and decided to keep the M9. Money was redirected towards a new car, which I'm receiving august 19th.

A brand new Audi A4 sedan quattro with 2.0 TDI and S-tronic gearbox + a whole lot of extras. I'll try and post photos when I get it :-)

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahhh, nice! Indecision paid off after all. Many happy miles! :)

Those TDI motors are sweet.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:11 am 

jlindstrom wrote:
The wait proved to be too much. I cancelled the 240 and decided to keep the M9. Money was redirected towards a new car, which I'm receiving august 19th.

A brand new Audi A4 sedan quattro with 2.0 TDI and S-tronic gearbox + a whole lot of extras. I'll try and post photos when I get it :-)

//Juha

A wise choice.

How many megapixels does the Audi have?
(I couldn't resist)