It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Leica M9/M9-P/M-E/MM White Spot Sensor Issue
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:11 am 

Good point about the deterioration in storage.

I'm intrigued....Are these problems pointed out to people when purchasing a new camera?

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:52 am 

Good morning James, and everyone else,

I am only just beginning to see white spots.....they are there. Though it is not yet bad enough to consider sending the camera back. I am doing tests every so often; maybe once a month. (when I can figure out how to attach a photo I'll make a copy of the corner of a test and post it) What I do is shoot blue sky at f16 with the 50 mm and then look at this in Lightroom at 100%.

The sensor was not in fact very clean when the camera came back from Leica. And since it had been sent to Leica by my local dealer I asked them to clean it before I accepted the camera back. That was in May or June 2014. I don't know how they cleaned it......but they did it in about ten minutes while I waited and said it was just dust. Since then I have only used a rubber bulb blower. And only two or three times.

The camera is not exposed to high humidity, I live in Beziers in the south of France and we are even short of Rain this year!

Happy Easter.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:48 am 

Happy Easter, Antony.

Prior traffic on this subject here and on blogs elsewhere, as well as statements from Leica Camera AG, point to high humidity as one of the factors that trigger the CCD sensor problems. I live in Hollywood, California which, though on the Pacific coast, is climatically a desert region. Like your home, we have been experiencing drought conditions. So at least we don't have that condition to contend with in maintaining our cameras.

I purchased the M-E new about 6 or 7 months ago at the Leica Store in Los Angeles. The sales person was quite clear about the differences in features and flexibility between the M and the M-E. I had the opportunity to operate both cameras, side by side. Nothing was said about the CCD sensor issue. Although I believe reports on the issue may have been publicly available on the blogs by that time, I have no idea whether the salesperson was up to speed on them, and I don't think Leica had publicly come to grips with the problem, yet. I had not researched the blogs prior to purchasing the camera.

I loved the M-E from the first few frames I shot, and I still am very impressed with it. Like so many others, I watched in dismay as the CCD sensor issue became a major blog topic, and honestly wondered what I had gotten myself into. As I mentioned elsewhere on LVL, I felt that Leica's response to the problem was fair, under the circumstances, and I took the additional step of purchasing a used M9 last month. I sent my M-E to Leica Service (US) for inspection and it was returned cleaned and with a verification that the sensor is fine. The M9 sensor is fine as far as my test (conducted the same way you describe) could reveal.

So, I will continue shooting these two Leicas with appreciation of their many outstanding qualities, and will clean them only if necessary and then only with a hand-blower. Here's hoping the CCD sensors in my cameras, yours, and those of our fellow LVL members, continue serving for many years to come.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Exactly, James. Nothing to do but shoot it. Leica will make it good one way or another.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:31 am 

We've got the spring here, so I am out shooting flowers; Irises and Poppies.

Spots are hidden in the foliage!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 pm 

Well, I typically shoot wide open so I never noticed anything out of the ordinary, but yesterday I broke out the 28mm and stopped down to f/8 and for sure my sensor is just COVERED with spots. They are easy to spot as they have a distinct pattern, not a black speck like dust. I have hundreds of them all over my sensor. I'm seriously bummed about this as I don't want to part with my favorite camera for what may be months.

ImageScreen Shot 2015-04-18 at 9.07.25 PM by JolietDeltaTango-0505, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:06 pm 

Take it in to Precision Camera and ask at the service desk for the technician to look at it on the computer and get a better look at the spots. If he thinks it is corrosion call Leica New Jersey and get put in the que for a replacement. When they have a sensor for replacement in stock they will notify you to,ship for replacement. You'll be without it for a shorter time.

While you're there fondle the M-240.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:59 pm 

JDLaing wrote:
Take it in to Precision Camera and ask at the service desk for the technician to look at it on the computer and get a better look at the spots. If he thinks it is corrosion call Leica New Jersey and get put in the que for a replacement. When they have a sensor for replacement in stock they will notify you to,ship for replacement. You'll be without it for a shorter time.

Yeah, I've known Noel at Precision for years. The owner Jerry also gives me advice sometimes when I'm having issues rebuilding lenses. I rebuild old Summicrons/Summitars/Summars from time to time if I find a few with matching parts.

I know it's corrosion you can see the separation of the glass in the spots, plus I have an LED loupe here at the house. I didn't know that it could be put in queue for replacement though. I'll stop in and talk to Noel tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

I've already had the 240. I didn't like it as much as my M9-P. It felt like it had less soul somehow. It's like the M9-P is South Austin and the M240 is the 2nd St. district. Cool and funky vs. modern and boring.

No offense to M240 owners or 2nd st. Condo dwellers of course...

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:43 pm 

RiverCityRocker wrote:
JDLaing wrote:

Yeah, I've known Noel at Precision for years. The owner Jerry also gives me advice sometimes when I'm having issues rebuilding lenses. I rebuild old Summicrons/Summitars/Summars from time to time if I find a few with matching parts.

I know it's corrosion you can see the separation of the glass in the spots, plus I have an LED loupe here at the house. I didn't know that it could be put in queue for replacement though. I'll stop in and talk to Noel tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

I've already had the 240. I didn't like it as much as my M9-P. It felt like it had less soul somehow. It's like the M9-P is South Austin and the M240 is the 2nd St. district. Cool and funky vs. modern and boring.

No offense to M240 owners or 2nd st. Condo dwellers of course...

I try never to go below 5th.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow man, that's pretty scary looking.

• LitPixel