It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: List of Leica SL (Type 601) Reviews
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's a list of the Leica SL (Type 601) reviews as we come across them - which will be updated continuously.

The Leica SL (type 601) Professional Mirrorless Camera Review (Kristian Dowling)
Leica SL (Typ 601) Hands-on First Look (Amateur Photographer)
Interview: The Leica SL – the ‘R10’ DSLR that never was (Amateur Photographer)
Exclusive test: first impressions of Leica’s brand new professional system camera (British Journal of Photography)
A lot to Leica? Hands-on with the Leica SL (Typ 601) (DP Review)
Hands On with the Leica SL Mirrorless Camera (Popular Photography)
Leica's New Mirrorless Camera Is Brilliant but Back-Breaking (Gizmodo)
Leica's SL full-frame camera features an impressive high-res EVF (Engadget)
Leica's latest camera aims to take on the big guns of the photography world (The Verge)
Leica SL (Typ 601) (PC Magazine)
Leica SL (Typ 601) hands-on review (Digital Camera World)
Leica Launches 24MP Full Frame Mirrorless SL Camera; Here's Our Hands-On First Look Review (Mirrorless Camera Reviews)
Premiere and review: The 2015 Leica SL (Typ 601) and lenses (Ming Thein)
Leica SL (Typ 601) Hands-on Photos (ePhotozine)
The Leica SL - First Impressions and Review (Jay Cassario)
Leica SL vs Sony A7R II Side-by-Side Comparison (Photography Blog)
Some Thoughts On The Leica SL (Luminous Landscape)
Not an A7 or DSLR competitor – Hands-On with the new Leica SL (Typ 601) (Mirrorlessons)
Leica SL (Typ 601), un hybride 24 x 36 mm à la pointe de la technologie (Les Numeriques)
The Leica SL - a field report (Jono Slack)

Videos:

Leica's fast full-frame mirrorless delivers, but needs some design refinement
LEICA SL hands-on

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: List of Leica SL (Type 601) Reviews
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:26 pm 

I'll jump in here and.... I have to state, visually, the design is 'purposeful' and while a relatively shapeless design may allow for lower manufacturing costs, it has the look of minimalist inspiration.
That is not to say it won't be highly useable in hand, but, it never hurts to add some flair to any design. As a design inspired SL/SL2 user, this 'new' SL could use a little visual 'retuning'.
Being a little picky is okay, and I'm sure it will perform well.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:28 pm 

I guess there isn't much SL interest? Just loyal M users?
Well thinking and reading further reviews, etc., I think Leica hit enough of home run with the SL.
However, it seems to me that the obvious minimalist design philosophy that went into
it missed the mark. Minimalist design is a good thing, but the hand grip by all accounts is a major miss.
To me that speaks to a decision of forgetting that the grip is the geshtault connection of the camera to the user, and that subtle connection brings a confidence built of comfort and control to the camera/mind interface.
I'm not meaning to overstate this, just it seems really odd that Leica missed such an obvious design element. Too, when looking at the chassis, it appears a relatively simple fix is possible. A couple other observations, almost being picky - can we just have the traditional 'leather' on the body? And finally, can Leica start putting the MODEL NUMBERS BACK ON THE CAMERAS? :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would imagine most are M aficionados around here. Mirrorless cameras haven't been looked upon with too much interest to rangefinder fans. Those that have, are more likely to look to Sony or Fujifilm. In fact, I'm in the latter camp myself (have an X-T1 system). The SL doesn't interest me in the least. For $12,400 that it would cost for the body and 24-90mm zoom I could buy every lens Fujifilm makes AND a body to shoot them with.

We just posted an article on the site here about the SL, actually:

Leica SL: A Camera In Search of a Market

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:16 am 

I used a IIIA and a IIIG and the 4, 5, and 6 M series, but u!timately, the original SL/SL2 and least favorite R series provided the versatility I prefer for my work.
I'm. not clear yet exactly what Leica is aiming for with the new, SL, the company has been relatively 'quirky' for years and for a multitude of reasons. The new SL certainly seems to fit into that, certainly, debuting the camera with a big heavy, pricey piece of glass instead some primes just inviting negatives.
Big zooms don't interest me, and the cost of them will likely be much higher than normal range primes. Too, image stabilization doesn't appeal either so I see the added costs as a feature to have me justifying whether or why I should be paying for tech I don't need or care for. I appreciate Leica's effort in the SL, but I'm still left wondering if it's worth the sale.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:19 pm 

RMR wrote:
image stabilization doesn't appeal either so I see the added costs as a feature to have me justifying whether or why I should be paying for tech I don't need or care for

I used to think that too. Until I got a VR/OS/IS lens. They come in handy. When I do low-light event work I can do longer shutter drags and not worry about ghosting. And for regular still photography having the ability to lower the ISO/stop down and use a slower shutter is a great help as well. I don't see any downside to it unless you only shoot moving subjects and even then it doesn't hurt to reduce camera shake.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:42 pm 

While I have found AF handy on occasion, and AE, I'm what some might call a 'minimalist' photographer; technique, technique, technique.
I literally don't want the extra whiz-bang popular tech - I've learned to live without it. Though I understand many have a need or want it. I think of the cost and longevity difference of a VR AF lens versus a straight AF and believe it would be substantial because the whole lens design is simplified.
Too, if a modern DSLR or an DEVF has the potential to record quality images at high ISO the low ISO images seems to me to better handled by solid tripod than trying to hand-hold with the VR.
The VR are also bigger and generally heavier, and again costlier. For background purposes, most of my preferred work is transparency first, then digital, from 'fine art scenic', to illustrative. I don't see this as a camera to be considered - for myself- until the prime line-up is available.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:14 pm 

After some time away from the SL announcement and early reviews, I have to say, while I wait for Tamarkin Chicago to receive their SL allotment, that my opinion of the SL is unchanged.
Not having any labels or control markings is a bit odd, and really, it kind of smacks of design over function. Too, while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's really an ugly beast of a camera. There's nothing the matter with a camera looking good, especially when it costs over $7K.
If this is to be a real pro camera, how is it to use in cold conditions? What is the battery consumption in extreme conditions and at $250.00 per battery, it's not out of the question to have $1,000.00 in batteries.
Back to the design, I have mentioned that if Leica is s beholden to the M design tradition then where does the SL fit? I mean, Leica won't even number it's bodies anymore after they stated it was like Porsche ? But the big S camera looks more 'Leica-like' than the new SL, so what is the Leica future design directive?
The original SL Series is a classic Leica design, a design that would have easily adapted to a digital body, yet Leica management seems to be lost in finding useable classic designs that speak with a respect towards it's own design history. If I may, designs that say 'German'.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:37 pm 

Just a few observations of 3 months use of the SL.
The camera performs well in extreme cold conditions - I'm just back from a week in Northern Norway chasing the Northern Lights. I used less than two batteries each night in -10C conditions shooting over 600 images each time. (I bought 2 spare batteries, so 3 altogether)
The camera is rugged, reliable and a smooth user experience using the new 24-90 zoom or M glass via the adapter, in my case mostly the wate 16/18/21 and the 0.95 Noctilux.
The menus are excellent and easy to access - I love the way that Leica has de-cluttered the back of the camera. The high speed shutter flash technique works well with the SF 40 flash - excellent well exposed images.
I have a Nikon outfit, D4s and D750 that are now having far more shelf time than out in the field. The 11fps has to be experienced to appreciate it - right up there with my D4s and the autofocus rate is very impressive - if anything I'm getting more keepers from the SL.
I believe costs are acceptable and in line with Nikon and Canon - certainly for camera bodies.
I did not jump in straight away with the 24-90 when ordering the body - I tested one whilst waiting for my order and soon changed my mind - it was a no brainer for my type of photography. I was an M240 user that had lost interest and motivation to use the rangefinder system, so this was excellent timing by Leica for me. So the 24-90 is my number one lens and sits on the camera stealing all the images from my existing M lenses. The big question is what will the 90-280 zoom be like at £4650 asking price?
Hoping to try that out next week at the UK Photography Show. One thing is for sure if it performs as well as the 24-90 then the Nikons might end up sat on a shelf far away from me!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's some great feedback, SteveF!

Thanks for sharing that, and welcome to LVL!

• LitPixel