It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So what does everyone think of the Q?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:30 pm 

I haven't had one 'in hand' yet, but while intriguing, the fixed lens is not what I need. IF they came out with an interchangeable lens 'Q', that would be a different story.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:27 pm 

If the lens was interchangeable it wouldn't be a Q.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They already have. It's called the M. ;)

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:49 pm 

Well yes, they have the 'M'. But my inference is that a 'Q' with a mount would be a more versatile beast for me than the M, I feel the current M has been compromised past it's 'original' intent. Meaning it really is compromised by trying to bring it into the 21st century tech...the design wasn't conceived for that.
The 'Q' is or could answer the 'field' limitations of the M; close focusing, zooms, (video) etc., I'm not a fan of changing the M away from it's 'roots'.
I am in favor of a 'bridge' camera that can do what the M cannot. However, I would like to see a bigger optical eyepiece on a traditional M design, but then that wouldn't be an M either. :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:30 pm 

Truthfully, since its introduction last June, I hadn't thought very much of, or even about the Q; although I had read some of the many glowing reviews of it, including the quite nice & comprehensive one posted here on the LVL forum. However, a recently diagnosed eye condition that has begun to interfere with my ability to use the RF patch on my M 240 has changed all of this. Now I am beginning to consider that the AF function of the Q might become more of a necessity for me & not just a nice backup feature.

And until such time as this might be the case, the manual focus function of the Q, with it live view magnification & focus peaking should also make my manual focus work much easier, very enjoyable, & more successful. It also appears to have been implemented to closely resemble how one would manually focus an M with these same focus assist features.

Its many other aspects, including its “M” form factor, the full frame function, the Leica quality & build, the speed & IQ of its Summilux 28mm f/1.7 lens (tho I thought it would have to be 1.4 to qualify for that title), the Maestro II processor like the SL, the best available EVF & LCD right now, & other quality features lean me very heavily toward this camera.