It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: X Vario Not So Bad?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 am 

I understand that the X-Vario comes with more good news that bad:

The body moves ahead, it's more Leica M like and less Leica I like, and the throw for the lens it's large that the one for the X2, so now there it's place for a large lens, some X (with no numbers) with a luminous lens.

The display it's a large and beautiful display for the display inclined photographers. So Leica now takes them on account in their designs. So more will come in this niche.

For viewfinder shooters like most of us it's a no sense move, but for a large part of the photo gear buyers, influenced by the iPhone and all smartphones around, it's an interesting move and for sure good for the company.

And if it's good for the company they will have the resources to improve what we like the most.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:05 am 

+1... :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:23 am 

Here's a good read about the Vario: http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/06/29/le ... 07-review/

I can relate to many of the points Ming Thein makes. I think he's on the ball, so to say, regarding the essence of Vario.

Frankly, if I didn't have the couple of lovely lenses for my M9 I could easily be seduced to migrate my kit to X2 + X Vario... Blasphemy? ;-)

But I simply can't let the 90 elmarit and 50 summilux go.. I cold perhaps upgrade the 50 to asph version, but to give up completely.. no way!

That said, when the finances are "a GO!", I'll swap our nex-5 to Vario for sure.

In the mean time, my new car will be manufactured in a couple of weeks.. ohh the wait..

//Juha

ps. when I get it, there'll be a new thread around "something red" ;-)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:36 am 

Yet another intesting bit to read: http://soundimageplus.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ng-on.html

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:48 am 

Well, all of the get this and that went "tits up" on my after these posts. I've since gone through changing M9 kit to A7r and then back to Leica M240 etc.. my wife's nex-5 got frost bites and gave up the ghost.

So, now she's got Sony rx100 mk2 and I've got the M + 50 lux asph.

She's reasonably happy, I'm very happy & all is well.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:24 pm 

Not so bad? I'd say friggin awesome. LOVE my X Vario, can't imagine a better compact travel camera.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:29 pm 

One year later.. I couldn't agree with you more! :-)

But have to say XV (or X113) is a canera you have to use to understand it. And I don't mean just casual shooting for a day or two either.. travel with it and it'll really show you what it's made of.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:51 pm 

jlindstrom wrote:
One year later.. I couldn't agree with you more! :-)

But have to say XV (or X113) is a canera you have to use to understand it. And I don't mean just casual shooting for a day or two either.. travel with it and it'll really show you what it's made of.

//Juha

I just spent the weekend in San Francisco on a Leica Akademie event (The Analogue Workshop) and while the main point was using my M5, I also brought my M-E, which I wandered around with at night and in the morning, and my X (type 113), which went out as a backup to the M5.

I shot the M5 with a 35mm f/2.5 Summarit, orange filter and Tri-X, and used the X as a digital equivalent with it usually set to ISO 100 (two stops off to match the filter factor) and always used with the EVF. The two were a perfect match, even sharing depth of field characteristics as 23mm at f/1.7 is very close to 35mm at f/2.5.

I shot two rolls of Tri-X during our assignments, and hundreds of shots with the X outside of the assignments. While I set the X for DNG+Super Fine JPEG in High Contrast monochrome, I did end up really liking a lot of the color images, but as always finding that the OOC JPEG black and white was usually better than I could do converting and processing in LR5 and SE2.

Here are a few samples from San Francisco last weekend.

ImageL1151121.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

ImageL1150756-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

ImageL1150799.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

ImageL1150821.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

ImageL1150701.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr