It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Leica M5
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:20 am 

I'm getting an M5 in about 3 days.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:53 pm 

Im a great Leica M5 lover, It is the quietest of all M, also the only to "information" in the display speed and aperture (depends the lens you use your selected aperture can be seen through the viewfinder )

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:05 pm 

Big.
Heavy.
Ugly.

Yes, it's quiet. Yes, it's got a great meter. Yes, it's got a wonderful viewfinder.

Unlike her lovely sisters, she just isn't pretty to my eye.

Just a shallow guy, I guess. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:29 pm 

Coolness overload, dude! 8-)

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:52 am 

James Lehrer wrote:
Coolness overload, dude! 8-)

:D

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:31 pm 

Well, it's nice to see that the M5 is still being enjoyed and appreciated. I have used an M5 for many years. Too, I've always thought that Leica 'caved' to the traditionalists back in the 1970's that blasted the design.
The design was dictated by the available technology; CDS meter cells were the order of the day (and they were also used in the SL family) and the electronics then meant that more room was needed.
Even so, the exterior design, specifically, the 'clustered control' design was perfect and has yet to be re-matched by any of M designs after it. The metering display was also. and still is hard to match with it's cross-match needle system. The spot meter was truly accurate and precise when compared to the non-defined averaging center-weighted system of today.
The size complaints were honestly a bit ridiculous. Look at an M body with the old MR Meter attached - the overall mass was more - and much less accurate.
Finally, the M5 shared the rangefinder mechanism with the previous generations and provided a sharp, clean-edged, image. The M5 was the last of the 'true' M camera's by that design alone, a fact that most detractors seem to miss or forget.
Next, try, and enjoy the M4 which led to the M5 - it too, is a noticeably better M!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:41 am 

Dear RMR:

When you speak highly of the M4, does that include the Midland-made M4-P? I owned a M4-P years ago, and I loved it. I regret selling it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:24 pm 

I had both the M4-2 and the M4-p and they were 'okay' - basically the same to me as the M6 - actually, I liked the M6 less. The 'build-feel' was not the same on them, and the finder/rangefinder mechanism was had a bit of 'ghosting' that the bodies through the M5 did not have.
The M4 is to my mind, the 'best' of the non-metered M bodies, though I've always wanted, and still do, an M4mot. I have two old Leica Camera System Catalogs from the early 1970's. This was Leica's heyday of in-depth camera systems from filters to telephotos, close-up bellows and Photars, and two body types and motors all with the highest build quality - and - the system had true nation-wide professional support. Any way, blah-blah, I would suggest you try and find a mechanically maintained M4 and a hand-held meter, it's a great way to learn what the M system was about - and I think it brings about better images!
Oh, another thing, the M5 shutter dial/shutter speeds were 'step-less' like the those of the SL/SL2 series so precision exposure was easy. Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:37 pm 

That really brings back memories. The early 70's were when I was most active, photographically. I graduated high school in 1970 and went right to work as an assistant to a fashion photographer here in LA. What a great job for a kid! :D The summer after that I got a job as a sales clerk in the Beverly Hills Camera Shop, and I remember poring over the 3/4 inch-thick Leica full-line catalog. You're right: every imaginable accessory was available at that time. I had just started shooting 2 1/4 square (Hasselblad), so I didn't have extra money for a Leica. I finally found a good deal on a clean used M4-P around the end of the 70's.

I agree that working with an M and a separate handheld meter is a great way to develop photographic skill, and that's exactly what I did for years. It was great to get away from all the automated features in SLRs at the time: the Nikon F3 was technically a great camera, but I got lazy with it. The Leica and my trusty Gossen Luna-Six SBC got me back on track, and I found I enjoyed photography more.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:21 pm 

Well, my story is similar. But I first picked up my SL2mot/Motor to go alongside my IIIA, IIIG, and the M5. I began my Hasselblad adventures a few years later with a 500el/m but decided it was a bit much for fine/art/scenic and traded for an SWC.
It's really true, and for many now-a-days, might be hard to believe just how extensive the Leica product line-up was. I still use my Luna-Pro CDS and SBC for my 35 and 67 work.