It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leica M5
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:27 pm 

Hi,
Any users of the Leica M5 in this forum? I just joined 06/14/2011 and I would like to meet people who use this camera.
I have enough Leica lenses, including my favorite the Summilux 50mm f/1.4 First Version. This is a great lens for use on my M5.
I use my Leica mostly for family portraits and for taking pictures of flowers. I also use it for landscape photography.
Ok, I will wait and see if there are M5 users joining up, then we can talk more.
-Peter ;-)

Post subject: Re: Leica M5
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not yet, but I'm hoping there will be soon.

To whet your appetite, here's an M5 lover's thread you might enjoy looking through.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:51 am 

OK, let the M5 love begin! I have an M5 and it is one of my favorite cameras. What's so nice about it?

- Terrific semi-spot meter
- Shutter speed visible in the viewfinder
- Match needle display
- Handles larger lenses beautifully
- Shutter speed dial placement easy to change while shooting
- Easier film loading
- Terrific view for a 50mm lens (my fav length)

The build quality is also superb. Now the camera is larger than an M4 based M but, for me, it's very ergonomic and not a problem at all. Some people are bothered by the size, I'd recommend handling one if you are concerned.

Anyway, all in all my M5 gets a fair amount of use beside my M8, M7 and Hexar RF. All have their places but I must say I enjoy shooting the M5 the most.

Hope that helps!

Kent

PS- My first post on a new forum...what a magical moment!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:10 am 

I use the M5 as my only M-camera and it's truly a great one. I bought mine quite cheap knowing that the lightmeter didn't work but as soon as I got it home I sent it to Sherry Krauter for a service and she worked her magic on it. Now it is as good as new.

I have perviously owned several other M's and screwmount Leicas but feel that as an actual user camera the M5 wins hands down. Finder with shutterspeed and match-needle metering shown, large shutter dial and a large ratcheted rewind lever on the bottom (clean top plate). Strap lugs for vertical hanging of the camera. The M5 has many advantages over all other M's if you only can look past it's different appearance. I for one like it's design a lot!

Oh and did I mention it's superior spotmeter? As soon as you have learned how to use it there is nothing better out there. It goes without mentioning though that for a lightmeter to be reliable on a 40 year old camera a calibration by a good technician is probably a good idea.

By the way my first post here, hi all!

Best regards
Rasmus
Sweden

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 am 

I really like the M5, it really is a work of art. I almost purchased one this time last year. A nice silver unit. The problem for me is the battery problem. These batteries are impossible to find here in central China. I had to retire my SL2 because there are simply no batteries.

My M7 was out of commission for two months because I could not find those batteries, but eventually I found a supply, and I am almost back in business. Now to get some Tri-X.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:37 am 

hi, I had a m5 which I enjoyed using in all situations but low light. I much preferred the match needle in the VF over the distracting red LEDs of the MP. The VF washout of the red haze in low light was a deal breaker for me. Never had that with the M5. My only complaint about the M5 was that the in-camera metering wasn't useful in dim light. But the build quality of the last wetzlar made M was outstanding.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:02 pm 

Thought I would bring this old thread up.

From this evening I'm the proud owner of an M5 as part of my changeover from digital to completely film.

The M8 will soon be listed (haven't decided where yet).

Will post some pic's, should be here Wednesday. I have never had such anticipation for a camera, even my first M8. The M5 is something that I have hankered after for soooo long and has taken years to find the right one at a sensible price.

Fingers (and legs) crossed. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:31 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

Congrats on the new acquisition. It really is an interesting camera, hope to see some of your photos soon

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahh, very nice! Congrats.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 am 

It's now a few days since I bought the M5 and loving every minute.

A couple of things have sprung to light since aquiring the camera. Firstly, it actually feels lighter than my M8. And secondly, with all the internet talk of how big it is, I had been expecting a brick of a camera. Now seeing one in the flesh, I was amazed at how 'small' it really is.

This is the later 3-Lug, but I removed the extra lug and will be fitting an Aki-Asahi 2-Lug Leatherette covering.

Now selling a couple of lenses to buy my ultimate 'allrounder', a Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1. Yeah baby !!:cool: