It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don McCullin, War Photographer
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

An interesting story on CNN about war photographer Don McCullin today.

"Don McCullin is best known for the unwavering gaze of his war photography.

For thirty years he traveled to places most people run from, depicting horror unflinchingly and with enormous compassion for the people he captured in unimaginable situations.

Considered one of the greatest war photographers, McCullin's pictures chart conflicts in Vietnam, Bangladesh, the Congo, El Salvador, Biafra, Cambodia and the Middle East, including the Six-Day War in June 1967."

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Don McCullin, War Photographer
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:48 pm 

LVL members who admire Don McCullin's photo-reportage might be interested to know that in 2013 the BBC aired a 1 1/2 hour program on their "BBC Imagine" series, examining the whole of Mr. McCullins work to that point in time. The images were shown chronologically, sandwiched between observations by McCullin, his Sunday Times editor Harold Evans, and others.

The program can be accessed on YouTube. For those unfamiliar with McCullin's work, be aware that some of the images shown in the program are disturbing (as they are meant to be). As McCullin and Evans discuss, photojournalism in print media underwent a radical change in the UK during Margaret Thatcher's years as Prime Minister: advertisers wearied of sharing newpaper and magazine pages with photographs of war refugees and starving children. Staff photographers were assigned to illustrate articles on fashion and lifestyles, and McCullin and others found no interest in the younger generation of editors and publishers for the gritty, no-punches-pulled images of the victims of war, famine and disasters - natural and man-made - they had risked their lives to get.

If the BBC program stimulates an interest in McCullin and his work, there are several excellent books about him. His autobiography, "Unreasonable Behavior" is out of print, but readily available on used-book search websites. A few of his other titles are "Sleeping with Ghosts: A Life's Work in Photography," and "Is Anyone Taking Any Notice."

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:39 am 

Thanks for the info James. I'll certainly be looking that up.

I'm presently Reading 'Page After Page' which, I'm sure most people will know is Tim Pages autobiography. It makes for very interesting reading if you can get hold of a copy.

I think that it's out of print now but is usually available on Amazon in used condition.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:21 pm 

I've got Tim Page's book on my list to find and read. By the way, if you haven't seen it already, you might be interested in "War Photographer," a film by Christian Frey featuring James Nachtwey. It's available on DVD for $17.95 on Amazon. It's particularly interesting because it is partly based on video from a small helmet camera worn by Nachtwey while photographing in conflict and other difficult conditions. There is also video taken of Nachtwey at work, as well as "back home" interviews with Nachtwey and colleagues such as CNNs Christiane Amanpour.