It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommended lenses for Hasselblad 503CW
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:14 pm 

I'm interested in a nice contrasty portrait lens and a good wide to medium lens for a 503CW, and perhaps a 203FE. These would be of course, for portraits and landscapes, but would also be used on a CFV 39. Perhaps Phocus has the DAC for most.

Also, what modification needs to done on a 203FE to be used on a CFV 39?

Thanks-

Post subject: Re: Recommended lenses for Hasselblad 503CW
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have the Distagon 4/50 FLE, Planar 2,8/80 and Sonnar 4/150 CF lenses, and honestly, I have no complaints about any of them! I use them on a 503CW. They're more plentiful and cheaper than the 60/100/180 lenses, which are supposedly "better." Can't say, personally. Though my experience is limited to CF lenses and not the newer ones (basically the same optical formula in most cases, just updated w/electronics for later bodies). You can use them on the 200 series cameras by just not using the internal leaf shutter... Though the FE lenses are generally a stop faster on anything other than the 80mm.

With digital backs, you really have to keep the crop factor in mind - as wides aren't nearly as wide as with film. In my case (CFV16) there's a 1.5x crop. The CFV39 is better, depending. Using the full sensor there's a "1:1" crop, but only along one axis. A bit misleading. Using the square format mode, you're right at 1.5x again. So a 50mm lens isn't all *that* wide...

There aren't many lenses that are wider - the most common is the 40mm. Because of this, the prices on these are astronomical as compared to the 50mm. The only wider lens is the 30mm - and that's a fisheye.

So my suggestions might include the Distagon 50 FLE and Sonnar 180.

Here's what the gang looks like:

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 pm 

Wow! They really are the best looking cameras! I guess the crop factor is a small issue, except for portrait mode. My 903 SWC should cover me in the wide areas. I used to shoot with an H4D/40 /28mm HCD, but it vignetted a bit, especially with a filter system. Thanks for the input.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

johnnyfilm wrote:
Wow! They really are the best looking cameras! I guess the crop factor is a small issue, except for portrait mode. My 903 SWC should cover me in the wide areas. I used to shoot with an H4D/40 /28mm HCD, but it vignetted a bit, especially with a filter system. Thanks for the input.

Oh, no doubt - the classic Hassy is a gorgeous beast!

You'd be hard-pressed to do better than the 903 when it comes to wide shooting. The lens is legendary (and rightfully so). A shame you can't really use a digital back with them.

Quite welcome!

Oh, on the 200 series mod; I don't recall off-hand what is necessary, but it's a minor tweak.

• LitPixel