It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need recommendations on a strap
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:19 pm 

Well I went with the Luigi straps. After a flurry of emails between us making sure we were on the same page, the straps and case were mailed in a couple of days. I do understand now why Mike advised me about not getting a case for the MP, but I decided to get it.

In short, just beautiful craftsmanship and incredible accessories. They are pretty expensive though, and I am conscious of handling and folding--don't want to mess them up, although the worn/weathered look only adds to the charm.

Here's a couple of camera p*rn shots. Couldn't help myself. Shot these with a 5D Mk II and 85/1.8. Ironic, huh.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:15 am 

jairyhunter wrote:
you've got me considering cases now. I really like the one on the Zeiss Ikon. Love your travel scenario. What kind of watch is that? I'm also deep deep into watches. I'll have to devote some time to shooting some of my collection.

Shop at Demetre downtown Charleston? Got my U-Boat there.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:44 pm 

Gordy's leather strap. They're cheap, excellent, look nice, after some use feel nice. Basically, it doesn't get any better. And price/performance ratio -> ubeatable, from another galaxy compared to competition. My 100% recommendation :)

Did I say they're good?

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 am 

If you like the A&A silk straps but can't stand the price try Lance Camera Straps. They're about half the price of A&A in the UK.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:26 pm 

They look the same but are not made of silk but of polyester.

Also when you use a Leica you sure can pay for a A&A neck strap can't we?!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Arte di Mano "Laccio" strap is pretty nice too, comes in a variety of colors (ends and shoulder pad) and by default, comes in a 95cm length (perfect for around the neck). You can add additional length when ordering. 115cm or so is perfect for diagonal carry (around the neck and across the body).

We'll be updating the review shortly to include their "classic" strap. It's very nice, much "cleaner" looking than the Luigi strap as there's no length adjustment (buckles, "bells" to cover them or doubling of the strap at the ends).

The Lance and Street Straps are made from nylon. While not as plush as the silk, it's also not as expensive (about half the cost). The feel is slightly different, but otherwise look pretty nice.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 pm 

I prefer a "flat" strap and have been very happy with my Leicatime Strap. However, I may purchase the Leica Monochrome strap as it appears "cleaner" looking than my black Leicatime strap.

Blog | Portfolio | Google+

Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:08 pm 

I looked at the Luigi straps and half cases for my M240 and in the end went with this strap from Leica: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... p_for.html

It is a really nice strap and is very well made. I still think about getting a Luigi strap and half case, though. If I do, the #18876 Leica strap will go on my
M4-P.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I too tend to prefer "flat" straps... And I just realized I never updated the Arte di Mano review to include their version. Whoops!

What I like about the AdM strap is it's VERY simple; no buckles, no double loops, nothing. It's made to order on the length, so it's a bit restricting in that sense, but if you know what you like - you're good to go. The only thing I don't like about it is that the strap itself is a bit stretchy. I'd prefer it to be more robust, like Luigi's. His come with single or double buckles for adjustment and have little "bells" that cover them. Very configurable, but it's not like I change the length much, if ever. The bells are annoying as hell though, as they don't stay put and I'm always sliding them back in place.

I'm warming up to "round" straps, like the AdM Laccio or the Street Strap (similar to the A&A silk cord). For one thing, they don't twist up like the flats. They're also very easy to use as a wrist strap when coiled up (granted, the flats aren't difficult). The downside is the lack of decent shoulder pads on them, if any at all. Not a deal-breaker though.

Allan, that's a nice strap. I think it's the same as the one provided with the M Monochrom (mine's still wrapped and in the box, LOL). Very highly regarded.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:58 pm 

Have a look at these: http://www.fieldday.fi

They even have leather camera straps made from reindeer hide. I fondled one of those at a local camera shop and I can tell you soft got a whole new meaning!

Seriously thinking about getting one of the reindeer hide models.. it was smooth like a baby's butt!

//Juha