It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need recommendations on a strap
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:44 pm 

May I humbly suggest you check out www.warblerdesigns.com ? we are a newish strap maker, and would dearly like your opinions/thoughts... these are handmade english leather straps, with a nice distinctive red suede lining... recently suggested as one of 'Photography Monthly's best gifts for christmas, for photographers... take a look! Mark

www.markboltonphotography.co.uk
www.warblerdesigns.com

Post subject: Need recommendations on a strap
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:52 am 

They look like nice straps. Naturally the reality can only be checked by testing one. I'm not currently in need of a strap, but I'll keep these in mind next time when I need to buy one. The suede is a nice touch, should add more grip compared to regulard straps.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:23 pm 

I like and use the previously mentioned street strap, and also let's not forget

Artist and artisan
Kenji. http://kenjileather.com/index.php/produ ... case-m8-m9

Post subject: Need recommendations on a strap
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:47 pm 

Tap & Dye Legacy Strap from New York. I love 'em because they're simple, just leather with a rivet and protector at each end and they come in various lengths and options. I prefer the one without the shoulder pad.

At the moment there's a 4 week waiting time (waiting for my second to arrive) and they're not cheap, but easily worth a little self-indulgence.

http://www.tapanddye.com

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:30 pm 

All of the responses thus far seem like good recommendations to me; however, just to answer for the loyal opposition, I'd like to recommend the basic black strap (model 14312) which comes with the current line of M cameras. Now, this strap probably won't ring any bells with photographers who enjoy giving their cameras a personalized touch. However, in its defense, I think Leica put a good deal of thought into its design.

The non-slip pad is effective, without being overly large. Its thin profile enables it to hug my shoulder, and I have never had a M-camera slip off with that strap. The nylon ribbon has a nice light drape and "give," so that you don't have to fight it when you bring the camera up to your eye. The length adjusters are very low-profile and reliable. The attachment "rings" with their slip-on plastic covers are reliable enough for me to have confidence in (although I have a habit of checking them every now and then, as I would with any strap). Finally, the all-black design is low-profile and doesn't scream "tourist!!"

When I shot with the much heavier Canon 5DMKII, I used the American-made Up-strap, and thought it was also a well-designed product.

An afterthought: if you are determined to go the personalized route, check out the camera straps designed and made in Toronto, Canada by LVL member Harry Benz. They are quite striking, and also seem thoughtfully-designed.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:18 pm 

I use the Pete Schmidt straps. Handmade in Peru. I used one of their guitar straps and went to the website and saw they were just starting in camera straps. They sent me a couple to test out and I did some product consulting with them to get the clips up to a better standard.

The first 1 1/4'' strap in vintage black leather was custom made for me. Now it's in full production. As far as straps go the smaller 1 1/4" straps work great with the Leicas. Though the clip on the quick release isn't sturdy enough to hold a heavier DSLR, go with the 2" for those.

The quick release straps have a male connector on one side and a female on the other so they can be clipped together to keep them from flopping around and can be used as a kind of wrist strap.

http://www.peteschmidt.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=119

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:30 pm 

Didn't see him mentioned but Harry Benz, based in Canada, does some great handmade straps from buffalo hide. He's getting popular though so leadin times are quite long.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:03 am 

greene881 wrote:
Didn't see him mentioned but Harry Benz, based in Canada, does some great handmade straps from buffalo hide. He's getting popular though so leadin times are quite long.

Wow those straps look so well made and strong, you could tow a truck with them.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:08 am 

As I said before, I'm a big friend of Gordy's wrist straps. They're cheap and absolutely fantastic.

With that said I was in the market for a new shoulder strap. I like to wear it across the chest. Problem is that I'm quite tall, so most straps fail -> way too short. I was thinking of endulging myself with the A&A silk strap, but epic fail -> it would be way too short. Remedy: enter the Street Strap long version!

Epic fail: sold from the US only, add local vat & customs at border and it will cost same as the silk strap.

After long search I noticed that A&A Voigtländer style strap has adjustable version as well, which is longer than any of the prementioned ones and most others in the market. So I ordered a black one from Spain. It'll still end up costing close to 100usd delivered, but should do the trick.

I'll update when I receive it. In the mean time, I need to order one more of those Gordy's wrist straps with quick release kit :)

//Juha