All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death of the Frame Preview Lever
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

R.I.P.
Frame Preview Lever
1955 - 2012

With the new M cameras - not only the M-E but also the M - the frame preview lever is gone from (digital) M cameras. The M7 and MP of course still have it (for as long as they're in production). It had a long run, first being introduced in later M3 (1955+) models - 57 years. It was removed for cost savings - seems few were using the feature and it added complexity and associated cost.

RIP, buddy.

Anyone else going to miss it? While in the long run I guess I didn't use it that much but I always thought it was one of the coolest features. Particularly useful if you're new to rangefinders and want to get a feel for lenses you might like to buy - you could compare with a flick of the finger.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Death of the Frame Preview Lever
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:10 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

I don't use it too often either, but i think its one of those useful things on a Leica that looks good :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:55 pm 

Is THAT what that thing is?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 am 

I actually do use mine and would miss it somewhat if it were gone. I know that with practice you get to the point where you can visualize what each of your lenses will capture prior to even looking through the viewfinder, but I am not there yet. I use it to check what a lens change would do before changing the lens.

Cheers,

Antonio

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kokoshawnuff wrote:
I don't use it too often either, but i think its one of those useful things on a Leica that looks good :D

I agree; I think it's a cool and unique feature.

JDLaing wrote:
Is THAT what that thing is?

LOL! :D

ajramirez wrote:
I actually do use mine and would miss it somewhat if it were gone. I know that with practice you get to the point where you can visualize what each of your lenses will capture prior to even looking through the viewfinder, but I am not there yet. I use it to check what a lens change would do before changing the lens.

Very true, Antonio - you do (and why I don't use mine so much anymore) but still - it's nice to have to eliminate any doubt. You can't do this with any other camera.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:38 pm 

The death of the frame line illumination window also... :cry:

Actually the new M with all these gadgets removed and without top Leica lettering looks pretty bold/shaved... :shock:

I like the levers on my M3. They give it character. At leas we got the new button to even things out a bit.
They should have left it on, and give it some new feature ISO or Quick menu... 8-)

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 am 

My M3 doesn't have the lever as it's one of the ancients. I don't have any later M's, so I can't miss what I've never had. I suppose one could tote around a pocketful of OVF's to preview fields of view :mrgreen: To be honest, I've actually done this with my 36mm OVF while toting my X2. It can be useful to me for composition on the street or inside public venues. It's so quick to fish it from my pocket and take a quick peek through it. I might get an odd look now and then, but I don't care. I've never been too concerned with normality. Eventually I'll be able to "see" the frame lines in front of me, but while I'm still honing that skill, it's less unnerving for people than pointing a camera at them.

Jeff

Ty Webb, "Caddyshack"

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:37 pm 

I have just ordered a New M and doubt if I will miss it. I found I use it reasonably often on my M6 but rarely on my M8 (probably something to do with the cost of film vs digital) I doubt I will miss it on the new M but I am taking a risk on how intrusive the new framelines will be. Plus on my ability to code old / non Leica lenses

Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:22 pm 

I miss the frame preview lever, although I must admit that I didn't use it that often to begin with. I read somewhere that Leica had to eliminate it in the interest of trying to keep the M240 within the size constraints of the film M cameras. Leica's engineers came very close to this design goal - the M240 is just 1/8" larger on two dimensions than the film M cameras.

The most pure of the M purists will probably complain about the "oversized" M240; as for me, I can live with it, given the camera's capabilities.

I miss the rangefinder window, but only from an aestetics standpoint. The illuminated rangefinder lines in the M240 viewinder (white or red, your choice) are outstanding.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:37 pm 

Double Negative wrote:

R.I.P.
Frame Preview Lever
1955 - 2012

With the new M cameras - not only the M-E but also the M - the frame preview lever is gone from (digital) M cameras. The M7 and MP of course still have it (for as long as they're in production). It had a long run, first being introduced in later M3 (1955+) models - 57 years. It was removed for cost savings - seems few were using the feature and it added complexity and associated cost.

RIP, buddy.

Anyone else going to miss it? While in the long run I guess I didn't use it that much but I always thought it was one of the coolest features. Particularly useful if you're new to rangefinders and want to get a feel for lenses you might like to buy - you could compare with a flick of the finger.

Do I use it? But of course!!!

My M3 with the 28mm lens, I do NOT need an external viewfinder when I can use the 90mm frame that just happens to pop up when that lens is mounted! How?

Silly question... :lol: .... the 90mm frameline corresponds to the rule of thirds center rectangle! You do remember the rule of thirds don't you?

:D Who says an old dog like me cannot be taught new tricks? It works marvelously and so much better than an external vf.