It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leica Firmware Update Practices
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:33 pm 

I recently became the ecstatic owner of a frequently carried by lightly used M 240, & did so with some trepidation due to the looming presence of an M 240 successor - maybe as early as next year I'm told. But I took the plunge as being an old retired guy, I can no longer afford to keep waiting for the newest & bestest thing to come along. Besides it already simply has every single thing I need or want in a rangefinder camera - those last two words really being the key to everything.

But I also came to Leica after over 4 years of Fuji X (X100, X100S, XE-2 & X-Pro1), where it taught me two very useful things about my photographic abilities & interests. First & foremost, try as hard as I might, I could not make any of them a true rangefinder camera; & second, my needs & interests in the newest & latest were greatly satisfied by Fuji's habitual renewing of their line with firmware updates.

So my question then is what really has been Leica's history of doing this kind of thing, recognizing that it only applies to their more modern digital systems in any event? Is it likely that with a new M to replace or supplant the M 240, will there likely be a firmware update incorporating some of those newer features that can be made available using the older M 240 technology? Of am I simply inquiring about something for which there is no prior history? Should we, as devoted Leica owners, remain somewhat hopeful & optimistic about such prospects? Or is simply anybody's guess about what the future holds in store for anyone currently owning & using an M 240?

Post subject: Re: Leica Firmware Update Practices
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:25 pm 

Pretty much anybody's guess. They update firmware as they think it is needed. Rangefinders are a simplistic breed and don't have all the bells and whistles that some mirror less cameras have.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fuji has a very unique approach to firmware; Kaizen... Japanese for "improvement." Where even older bodies get excellent firmware updates, adding features and improving existing ones. I have to say, I really, really enjoy that aspect with my X-T1.

Leica, on the other hand... Will take a more reserved approach. Fixing bugs first and foremost, and really only adding features that were either missing on release or demanded by enough people. Once a body is "outdated" (or discontinued) you can pretty much forget about firmware updates. Kind of sad, really.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:13 pm 

It really is sad! For example the X-series bodies had some issues which would have been fairly simple to fix in firmware but alas, the updates never materialized. Worst thing is the GPS feature in X113 with evf. It's a feature that is mentioned in instruction manuals & datasheet and Leica never updated FW to make it actually work. Even their support acknowledged it's a bug.

So basically if a Leica has bugs at launch, be prepared to live with them as firmware fixes not very likely..

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:25 pm 

All of the time I had my Fuji gear, I never took their enlightened attitude ("Kaizen") for granted, but it certainly was one of the most important things that kept me with them. And when I made a decision to move to a Leica M, I was encouraged by what I saw they had been doing to rectify issues surrounding their M9 sensor problems. So it is very disappointing to find that their history of firmware improvements has not been a very good one. Something that is actually quite surprising considering the status occupied by Leica & their fixation on creating the best bodies & lenses that they can, rather than compromising quality to reduce their costs & increase market share with lower prices. Very strange indeed.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's quite outrageous, really - considering the price one pays for Leica hardware. Not only the lack of proper updates, but also the time it takes for them to materialize, typically. Indeed strange for a company that supposedly strives to (or claims to) make the best imaging equipment...

No, Fujifilm is doing it right.

• LitPixel