It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leica falling behind
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 am 

I was recently reviewing the leica digitals for purchase and was very disappointed with the results. While, I believe leica still builds the best body it drops the ball on its sensors. No dust removal, not great color or sharpness etc. I compared the Sony A6000 and A7 to the 240 and ended up buying the Sony. Come on leica, get into the 21st century!!!

Post subject: Re: Leica falling behind
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Leica digital cameras are we talking about here? You posted under the M8 section... Which came out in 2006. So hardly a fair comparison to the cameras you mention (Sony A6000 and A7). Though it's worth pointing out that the M (Type 240) doesn't have dust removal either.

As to the color and sharpness, I would strongly disagree. The Leica M digital cameras are very capable of both.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:34 pm 

I was talking about all leica digitals. Given all the capabilities of the 240s competitors and the price of the 240 I can't find one comparison review where leica is the overall winner. I ended up with a sony a7. Believe me, I really wanted to buy a leica but after having several dslrs without dust removal no thanks. Regardless of what the pundits say, it is not a welcome task to clean a sensor, especially on a rangefinder with prime lenses unless you never change the lens!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:29 pm 

It is clear you didn't want a Rangefinder.
Good luck with the Sony. Better luck with a range of lenses.
Automatic dust removal is for sissies.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 pm 

You, re wrong there, I have a bessa r2a, voigtlander 21mm f4, 35mm f1.7 and a 50mm f1.5 lens kit and also a Canon ql17 giii with 40mm 1.7. Not complaining at al about leica m series up to m6.

All the best

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:15 pm 

I plan on using my voigtlander lenses on the Sony. They compare very favorably with leica glass. But let's not beat this issue into the ground and depart friends.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Digital Leica M bodies have never reigned over the competition when it came to specs. But it's also comparing apples to oranges. If you need DSLR features, get a DSLR. If you need a digital rangefinder - there's only one option, really. In the end, it's all about the rangefinder experience (simplicity) rather than pure specs.

Of course the Leica M can't do everything nor should they try to. Again, that's the rangefinder part of the equation. Different tools for different jobs, and why I picked up a Fujifilm X-T1 - for when I need DSLR-like features (e.g. zooms).

Dust removal is nice, but overrated. Won't help you at all with "wet" spots (e.g. oil). Cleaning a sensor is no big deal. I can count on one hand how many times I've actually had to clean my digital M sensors in six years. Heck, I cleaned the Canon a lot, lot more in half that time.

As for the other digital cameras in Leica's stable, well... I'd blame Panasonic more. ;)

The T is Leica's hope for a breakaway product. It's certainly a technological shift for Leica, and even most other digital compacts. Feature-wise it's not super loaded, but everything else about it is. The beauty of a highly software-centric camera is that you can update the firmware, gaining new features, changing old ones and fixing bugs. Give it time.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:06 pm 

Too bad a

Now if it only had a built viewfinder

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:28 pm 

Hello,

Your remarks are just not objective, as other told you.
The M 240 is the only top rangefinder, if you are not happy with it, buy a Nikon D810 but SLR is not the same league. No optics are better than Leicas, do read some tests.
Ok the price is high, but quality is just exceptional. And the dimension and the weight of a Nikon d810 with batteryPack and a 24/70 mm 2,8 ED is just prohibitive.
The M 240 is small, less visible when you are outside and just very silent.
JJB

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:08 am 

jjbrugger wrote:
... And the dimension and the weight of a Nikon d810 with batteryPack and a 24/70 mm 2,8 ED is just prohibitive.
The M 240 is small, less visible when you are outside and just very silent.
JJB

I have a M240 and I love the rangefinder experience. I found unfair the comparison with a zoom lens. My sold Canon 5D with 50mm 1.2 wasn't that big compared to the M240 and 50 Lux.

Leica is jus ta matter of experience. Professional cameras and lenses produce professional images and all of us would have hard time comparing pics.

As per the viability, I'm quoting something that I found on Internet .. I agree 200%:

"I think the idea of a stealth camera has become obsolete nowadays, you are fooling yourself if you think people don’t know what you are doing"

If you need to be discrete go buy a good, small compact camera!