It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Which do you really prefer?
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:57 am 

I was pretty evenly split until recently, using the M Monochrom for black and white and the Nikon Df for color, each with a great set of both modern and vintage prime lenses (the 58mm f/1.4G is to die for). The problem was for casual (non-photography) family travel both were quite heavy and too complex to just hand off to strangers when I want to get into some of the pictures. I also have a beautiful M5 and had a mint Nikkormat FT3 for those times I wanted to shoot film and still use the same lenses as my digital kits.

To solve the travel problem I bought the Leica X Vario about a-year-ago following a massive price drop, and gradually I've sold off my Nikon kit ever since, then added the new Leica X (type 113) to fill in where the X Vario lacked (low light and shallow depth of field) and finally bought an M-E to replace the Df.

Now I am still torn between two systems and like the both about equally, but since the question asked about SLR, then the answer is clearly that I prefer the rangefinder, now with fixed-lens mirrorless (I didn't care for the T or the Sony A7) a close second.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:38 pm 

swamiji wrote:
JDLaing wrote:
Rangefinder. Period.

+1

+1

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:49 pm 
Hmm, I'm undecided.

I'd love to have an M with a Rangefinder for 15-600mm, Lightmeter, Selftimer, SuperTele-lenses, and AF option, or faster/better viewable optical focus indicator for all lenses.

As that's not available people think the real solution is DSLR and EVF.

I'd say DSLR is outdone, as soon as the the mirrorless gets the dynamic speed and AF-following capabilities of a DSLR. That's SW+HW and the smaller the lighter such movements.

An EVF is the best compromise, but I do not like Live-view or EVF as long as I can see what I want to see a reality, that I am monitoring through-out the full operation.

With a fast blend-in EVF to check presets for the next shot, I'm ok, with. After the shot I don't care, what's in. It's done.

So yes, I see potential for a Hybrid Viewer Rangefinder in the, Oh? that's already available? Poor people at Leica.

No really, a full EVF preset checking, Rangefinder option would be helpful. But again, that's like buying an Apple Computer or a Bread Baking machine.

Thus I'd concentrate on:
- a Box with light-collection mechanism and a sensoric element to capture and store it.

Best done by Leica with:
- M-A
Awaiting
- future M RAW (M60 with better iso sensibility, as standard camera)

thanks.
Best regards,
Carlos.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:52 pm 

The new-to-me Leica M 240 has brought back all of the wonders when I first discovered photography in my youth with a Voigtlander rangefinder. While I enjoyed using my SLR's to capture life's action around me, now it's back to the simplicity & pure joy of the rangefinder system.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's a lot going for RFs - and why we all probably shoot one.

In related news, Fujifilm will set the RF world alight once again on January 15 when they introduce the new (and greatly improved) X-Pro2... From the leaked specs, it looks to be quite amazing.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:48 pm 

As a Fuji X user for the last four years, I really enjoyed my X-Pro1 more than anything else (also had used the X100/S & XE2). But I knew when the X-Pro2 came out, GAS would make me crazy. So I solved that problem last month by getting a lightly used M 240. What could be better than that!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jedorme wrote:
As a Fuji X user for the last four years, I really enjoyed my X-Pro1 more than anything else (also had used the X100/S & XE2). But I knew when the X-Pro2 came out, GAS would make me crazy. So I solved that problem last month by getting a lightly used M 240. What could be better than that!

Except now you'll get Leica GAS. :D

Good move though. ;)

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:18 pm 

I am virtually certain that Leica's Premium GAS pricetag will keep me safe for a good long time until the M 240 replacement comes on the used market. Fuji's Regular GAS pricetag was just barely affordable if I managed to sell everything but the dog on eBay. Now I just lust after Leica lenses, & that is bad enough.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:38 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
There's a lot going for RFs - and why we all probably shoot one.

In related news, Fujifilm will set the RF world alight once again on January 15 when they introduce the new (and greatly improved) X-Pro2... From the leaked specs, it looks to be quite amazing.

Still X-Trans, not a fan :( . I don't like trading color depth for extra luminance, Bayer sensors are already compromised enough as it is.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:44 am 

It took a while to adapt but I now prefer rangefinder.

I have an old Olympus OM1 film camera which I keep on my desk as an ornament, it was my first proper camera in the mid 1970's. I took it out the other day to do some street shots and was astounded to find how noisy the shutter and mirror slap was compared to my Leica. I always thought it was a quiet camera compared to the Nikon and Canons of its era..