It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which do you really prefer?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:19 pm 

SLR or Rangefinder camera?

Seriously, do you find that one or the other actually does everything you want? Or do you like to use both?

Leica has made rangefinders for so long that sometimes it is easy to forget about the wonderful R bodies and of course, the S2 and S medium format digital cameras. Recently, my R kit has made life so much easier for many things that the M3 does not do well...and some things the M3 doesn't do at all...

And of course, my old Nikons are used almost as much as the Leicas because they are like an old pair of jeans that are so comfortable and familiar to use that they quickly become my comfort gear... :p But that M3 just flat stays with me every day as I go out the door.

Do I have a favorite? Sure...both! It is nice to have choices and these days they are so easy to afford. Well, excluding the S bodies....LOL.

How about you? ;)

Post subject: Re: Which do you really prefer?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In my case, I genuinely prefer an M most of the time but clearly, it doesn't do everything. While the new M (Type 240) tries to address some of these shortcomings, it doesn't interest me. Let the RF be an RF, I say. I love it for what it is. Small, light, simple and high quality.

For product (studio) shots, macro, (serious) telephoto shooting, zooms, etc. I prefer and will always prefer some sort of SLR, hopefully for obvious reasons. Plus, there are times when you need super fast autofocus and shooting and/or extensive flash capability. These are things the M, nor any likely future M will have.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ms… But I also love my other cameras (which include Hasselblad, Canon and Mamiya). Though probably not as much. :D

Fun fact: almost ALL of the product shots you see here on the site under the Reviews section - are shot with a Hasselblad 503CWD under studio strobes!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:09 pm 

Rangefinder. Period.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:06 am 

JDLaing wrote:
Rangefinder. Period.

+1

Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 am 

I prefer a rangefinder, hands down. I still have a couple of Nikon film SLRs which I keep for some of the more specialized Nikkor lenses like the 200mm f/4 micro and the 105mm f/2 DC.

I carry my M240 every day, though. I use my Nikon SLRs very occasionally these days.

There's just something special about rangefinders, whether it is a film Leica M or the digital M240 - or a Mamiya 7II or a Hasselblad XPAN or another kind of rangefinder...

Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:02 am 

Rangefinder, no contest.

I tried my best with latest & greatest EVIL in the market.. in the end I folded and got back to rf with a M240.

To get philosophical it's like comparing a beautiful sailingboat to a rocket ship. Don't know about the rest, but I'll rather enjoy my surroundings sailing than blasting away in a rocket ship :-)

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:46 pm 

JDLaing wrote:
Rangefinder. Period.

Same here.

The first rangefinder I ever owned was a Hasselblad XPAN. I was immediately smitten with rangefinder photography.

Next came a Mamiya 7 II. Great camera;gone but not forgotten. :(

These were before I got my first Leica M. Now there is no going back to SLRs. I still have a couple of Nikon SLRs (FM2n, F3, F100) but I cannot recall the last time I used any of them.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:07 pm 

I prefer my Leica M, but since photography is what I do for a living I can't use it for everything. I've come up with ways to use it for as much as my paid work as I can, but I can't shoot everything effectively with an RF.

I always bring an M with me when I'm working, but it's more for backup shooting than it is for the final product. But sometimes I can use an SLR and a RF for the same gig. For example when I shoot MotoGP. When the riders are on the grid and in the paddock I shoot with the Leica. I do a lot of this during the Qualifying days. Then on raceday it's an SLR with a big-ass telephoto lens.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:03 pm 

Leica rangefinder. I've used SLRs and DSLRs, and different formats, and I keep coming back to the rangefinder.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:57 pm 

For my pro work 95% Nikon and 5% Leica. For my amateur pleasure 100% Leica.