It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leica (Huawei) P9
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:40 pm 

Since it's been so quiet in here, I figured I'd post and reveal the latest addition to my Leica family. The P9!

After years and years of iPhones I decided to try something else. What actually tipped things over was Android Auto, which in my use case is about 200% better over the half useless carplay.

Have to say Android has come a long way since I last tried it. Also the Huawei emui skin? makes it feel familiar to ios users.

The phone is very slick to use. Also there seems to some useful apps that weren't available for iphone, like mobile versions of the bonus card for my default grocery chains - ya! can leave the nasty plastic cards at home!

The Leica camera onboard seems nice as well, but haven't had too much time to play with it yet.

I'll post some photos later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Leica (Huawei) P9
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:08 pm 

I don't know how available they are here in the US, but I am going to look into it. Maybe not as a replacement for my iPhone but to be able to use the Android Auto mapping feature, if it is that much better than Apple Car Play. BTW, what do you find so useless about carplay, since I have not actually used that version yet (either get it in a new car or add it to my current car). So thanks for posting this!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:33 pm 

Well, first of all carplay completely takes control over all phone related controls in my new Audi A4 (b9). It shuts down bluetooth (uses usb-cable instead) and also disables integration with the virtual cockpit and steering wheel buttons for phone functions.

That means I have to use the central display to control anything phone related and also use the big control wheel knob to manipulate settings. That makes things slow.. Also Siri doesn't allow any kind of view into old sms messages and the new ones are read out loud. But problem with Siri is that I'm finnish & live in Finland.. so I get lot of sms in finnish. And Siri is almost useless in finnish [emoji23]

If it would allow control via cars native systems, I could at least read the sms from the central display..

Android Auto doesn't disable anything, all native controls work - in dash virtual cockpit, steering wheel buttons, read sms on big central disply etc etc

Granted Android isn't perfect either, but at the moment it's far less annoying and the problems are basically bugs so they'll get ironed out in time. For Apple it's the way their software was designed to function.. change isn't likely.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:57 am 

Thanks for this added info about the differences between the Apple & the Android car play systems. I can certainly see the annoying issues with Apple, & since here in the US everything to do with the phone must be hands free, there is a need for the Siri interface to allow you to do everything you could otherwise do manually. And the language capabilities would need to be universal as well. So I will look more carefully at both of these car play options & appreciate your take on them very much. Cheers.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:04 am 

Beware of the Huawei 'Trojan Panda':

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/comp ... spy-tricks

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:48 pm 

Clouds in the P9 sky appearing.. after a few days of use I've been noticing a lot more dropped calls. If this continues, it's back to iPhone.

Phone is a tool for me, which I use a lot every day. I can't lose business over dropped calls.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:40 pm 

I don't think I would go with a Huawei phone, but my BMW and my iPhone don't really play nice, which is a motivation to change.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am 

I got tired very quickly with the Huawei cutting calls & otherwise very functional android auto constantly crashing - so I got the iPhone 7.

That being said, the instability is probably my own doing since I upgraded to beta firmware, which was needed to get the android auto working..

Now I'm thinking either flash to stock and play with the camera or just sell it..