It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Frankenfinder
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mostly just for reference and posterity - or in case you've never heard of what is affectionately known as "the Frankenfinder." Sure, it's bulky and a little odd... But it's a great finder. Intended to be used with the WATE (Wide Angle Tele-Elmar 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH lens, it also covers additional focal lengths for use on the M8.

Quote:
Leica Universal Wide-Angle Viewfinder M

The Leica Universal Wide-Angle Viewfinder M enables precise cropping of the subject with the Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH. on the Leica M7 and MP as well as the digital Leica M. For the Leica M8, the focal length extension factor of 1.33x has to be considered, so in this case the bright-line frames for 21, 24 or 28 mm are set on the Leica Universal Wide-Angle Viewfinder M. A parallax compensation dial enables adjustment of the frame to the focusing distance in five steps. Thanks to one aspherical lens element and one with achromatic correction, the Leica Universal Wide-Angle Viewfinder M is insensitive to stray light and features high resolution and exceptional brilliance. An illuminated spirit level helps to keep the camera horizontal even in unfavorable light conditions. The eyepiece has a screw mount for optionally available diopter correction lenses.

More information on this Leica page.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: The Frankenfinder
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:58 pm 

I use the addition bright line frames for other lenses. The 24mm is good for the 24mm Lux in FF. Also earlier M's, like the M4-2 did not have a 28mm frame line, also if you wear glasses with the M9, the 28mm frame line is difficult to see. The Frankenfinder is called universal for a reason. When I use wide lenses, it's the one I have on my camera.