It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLR Magic 50mm f/0.95 Price
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The price of the lens has been announced... $4,288 USD. Impressive!

The CINE version (without RF coupling) is $2,988 USD.

Quick facts via SHP:

• It is faster than a Leica Noctilux ASPH so technically, this is the fastest 35mm lens in production today.
  • It is slightly larger and weights slightly more than the Leica Noctilux ASPH
  • It will focus as close as .7 meters with very sharp and accurate results. There is no floating element in the SLR magic and it is NOT Aspherical. The Leica focuses to 1 meter but has a floating element and ASPH glass.
  • The lens is sharp wide open, and share stepped down. To date, I have not discovered any focus shift in my use of the lens (though further testing is coming)
  • The lens will be rangefinder coupled of course, and SLR Magic is also creating a CINE version without RF coupling for $2995.
  • The lens is hand assembled in Hong Kong by SLR Magic. Production will be limited. Not mass-produced.
  • SLR Magic is including a 3 year warranty with the lens.
  • You can order the lens with a black or green ring for the front, so black IS NOW an option.
  • Lens will be available to order in September 2012.
  • If anyone is in Hong Kong and wants to see the lens, you can visit the SLR Magic shop at — Shop 316, 47-51 Shan Tung Street, Sim City, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: SLR Magic 50mm f/0.95 Price
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:44 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

I know a lot of people adore Huff, but rundowns/reviews like this always strike me as a little fishy. Perhaps picking up SLR Magic as a sponsor and getting a free lens makes hyping a product a little easier. The photos I've seen taken wide open on his site with this lens are either not 'sharp' or focus was missed all together.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:19 pm 

Would much rather go with the Noctilux f1.0 or the Nokton f1.1. At least Cosina and Leica have a track record. The price is a complete turn off for me - way too high. That's how much the 50mm Summilux-M ASPH is going for!

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm not convinced on this lens. Better than the Noctilux? I find that hard to believe.

One thing that's a turn-off is that remember, it's a video lens. So that means no click stops on the apertures... Which are expressed as t-stops, not f-stops to boot.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:58 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
Yeah, I'm not convinced on this lens. Better than the Noctilux? I find that hard to believe.

One thing that's a turn-off is that remember, it's a video lens. So that means no click stops on the apertures... Which are expressed as t-stops, not f-stops to boot.

Everyone who has tried the lens likes the click less aperture. I would not say its better or worse but both are unique lenses. Everyone who goes to try the lens take their Noctilux along as they are looking for a lens with similar but yet unique character to add to their collection.

If you ever have a chance to drop by Hong Kong for shopping you should drop by Shop 316, 47-51 Shan Tung Street, Sim City, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong to try the lens out so you have a better idea of the lens performance! The sales are friendly and will not make you buy anything. The lens is backordered anyway so there is no awkwardness when walking out :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fair enough, Andrew!

Admittedly, the more I see from this lens - and having used the Noctilux more extensively - I'd say the quality is definitely competitive!

• LitPixel