It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alt hood for 28mm f/2 ASPH Cron
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone that's used lenses like the Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH probably have a love-hate relationship with the Leica-supplied hood and cap. There's no arguing that it's a nice setup and blocks stray light probably better than most hoods out there... But as a result it's also rather... Large. So what are the options?

You can use hoods from older Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 pre-ASPH lenses. But they tend to be rather expensive and aren't all that much smaller either.

The solution? Get the cheapest 46mm screw-in lens hood available that's angled/vented and a new 55mm Leica lens cap! Turns out the black anodizing on the cheapo hood is a perfect match to the lens finish and the fit is practically factory looking. It's ridiculously light in weight too; a nice bonus. Choose a hood with as little writing on it as possible (e.g. only says "46mm" and nothing else). Combined with the Leica lens cap, it even looks rather "legit!" :)

Total cost $12-15 - much less (<$10) with a generic 55mm cap. You can also find hood/cap combos as an even cheaper alternative.

Gegenlichtblende Summicron-M 1:2/28 mm ASPH.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Alt hood for 28mm f/2 ASPH Cron
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 pm 
The Heavystar wideangle metal screwin hood is a good alternative as well :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One can also use the Leica #12589 hood, from the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH (non FLE).

I'll have pictures up of the aftermarket hood/cap soon. A 55mm Leica cap works, but has a bit of a large "overhang" - so I'm trying a cheap aftermarket pinch cap next which should fit a little better I'm hoping.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nirvana: attained. :)

The Leica cap, while looking quite "authentic" didn't work out so well because of the overhang. A generic pinch cap worked perfectly, with no overhang - and of course provides an additional means to loosen it (edge and pinch).

The best part is, the combo cost a grand total of $7.30! A far cry from the $200-400 (plastic or metal) Leica hoods (and caps) would cost!

I'll get up some pix up shortly now that it's all done.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 am 

Do you use the Heavystar metal hood with a filter? I just received mine, but it vignettes (I install the hood after the 46mm B+W filter)

Was wondering if there is another "wideangle" version that Jaapv mentioned above?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't have the "heavystar" hood, but an even more generic (cheaper) one. Though they're probably pretty similar in dimensions. Can't say for sure. There are a variety of hoods out there so I'm sure you can find a wider one. For example, rather than an angled hood, you can get them straight as well, both with and without vents, etc. The wider ones are usually noted (if nothing more than a "W").

I haven't tried it with a filter, and haven't seen any vignetting so far. With a filter - you're right, it might be enough to push it out enough to cause vignetting. I'll verify this when I have a moment with my setup.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:04 pm 

I have a similar issue with the Leica 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Elmarit. The hood functions well as a lens shade, I don't mind the size, but the damn thing does not fit firmly to the lens. In fact, I dropped the lens partly due in fact to the loose fitting shade. When I sent the lens in to Leica service for repair (the rear lens mount flange was slightly bent, but the lens still worked fine after a 40" drop onto concrete) I asked them to tighten the lens shade, which they did. But the fit is still not tight enough, so I bought a heavystar (made in China) screw in lens shade; unfortunately that shade vignettes with this lens. I am close to using a drop of either epoxy or LockTite on the shade, but that would make it a chore to remove the shade for installing a filter. Any suggestions would be welcome. Mark W.

www.WeidmanPhoto.com
Colorado, USA

Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What if you put the filter on the inside threads of the hood, rather than on the lens and then attaching the hood to it? This way the hood doesn't move further out... I'll have to take a look at mine but I'm fairly sure it has 46mm filter threads on the inside, though takes a 55mm cap.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:31 pm 

Good news, problem solved! I stumbled upon DAG Camera Parts ( http://www.dagcamera.com/index.html ) - on a couple other forums. Don G. at DAG sold me a metal 39mm screw in lens shade for my 28mm Elmarit. He machined the front of the shade down just enough so the lens would not vignette. He had a 28mm lens so could test the shade before shipping. Great service at a very fair price. Highly recommended!

www.WeidmanPhoto.com
Colorado, USA

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:30 pm 

I am using the 35 Summilux ASPH (non FLE) hood on my 28 cron and love it. It is what the lens should have come with from the very beginning.

Leica M8 | 28mm Summicron ASPH by p.60/128, on Flickr

IMG_0005Leica M8 | 28mm Summicron ASPH by p.60/128, on Flickr