It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just Got Summarit 35mm f2.5 for my M 240
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:44 am 

James - Here is a link to a comprehensive listing of video tutorials that have been prepared in-house by the designers of Affinity Photo. This will also give you a better idea of what the feature set currently looks like:

https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index. ... tutorials/

If you are very familiar with Photoshop, then conceptually you can pretty much sort out how things are either the same or different in AP. But it is much more intuitive & quite straight forward in its construct & operation. They are also apparently preparing a written guide due to user demand, but there are no "how-to" books that have been created that I am aware of. What is available is a PDF like file compilation of their help menus which one of the users also created & shared. (I just tried to attach it to this posting but the file extension apparently isn't allowed, so I'll track it down & find another way to get it to you.) Hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:10 pm 

Here is the downloadable version of the Affinity Help Menus put together by one of the users:

https://app.box.com/...d80a875ftgwigy0

For use with an iPad, just download it to your ipad and pick "open in Ibooks" or download it to your computer and email it to yourself and then pick "open in from your ipad. The initial table of contents listing doesn't link, but after you select "Contents" the listings link and work.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:13 pm 

Sorry, just clicked on the link & found it didn't go thru. But a search on Google or Yahoo for Affinity Photo Tutorials should connect to their forum where this can be found with a little effort. Their forum is also a good spot to find out much more about their software.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:47 pm 

Thanks very much, Jed. I'm not experienced with Photoshop, except what little I remember from using Elements. However, I will check out the Affinity Photo Tutorials as you suggest.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:21 pm 

Last weekend I took my M 240 with the Summarit 35mm lens attached to the Palm Springs Kennel Club's dog show (said to be the biggest dog show west of the Mississippi, but nothing like Westminister). It turned out to be a treasure trove for photography, with much going on both inside & outside of the judging rings (actually square in shape). I am finding though that if time allows for actual focus, the results are sharp; but if needing to rely on zone focusing, the far reaches of the DOF may turn out fairly soft. I suspect that this may not be unique to this particular lens & also may be aided & abetted by some motion blur. Here, however, are some images that only a dog show will feature.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:57 pm 

Nice shots, Jed. I like the composition in all three. The daylight that day looks nice and diffuse.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:54 pm 

I'm still struggling to really understand the M metering so I can know what to expect. But while the daylight was mostly broken to overcast skies, there were periods of bright mid-day sun. And the dog show environment had a lot going on under cover of tents with heavy shadowing. So for me, a bit of a challenge with this new camera system. Here are a few more shots to show what I mean.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:50 pm 

Depending on how translucent the blue and white tents are (if at all), you might be able to get some interesting backgrounds if you could get closer to some subjects and shoot from a lower angle, so that the background is mostly, or all, diffuse areas of blue and white. This idea worked well when I was in Venice: the diffuse light coming through large scarlet awnings between stone arches lent a strong graphic to some pictures of the ancient Pecheria (fish market).

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:55 pm 

That's a very interesting suggestion & will keep it in mind for either next time or any other similar situation. But this tenting material was not translucent at all which created strong shadows, which can be seen in some of my images. And my knees don't quite flex like they used to before I blew them out playing too much tennis ( a little arthritis also), so without a flip down LCD (which I happen to dislike anyway) I'm kind of limited to standing shots. But even to get photos of most dogs, you really need to be down at their level, so you see mostly big dogs in my photos!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:43 pm 

I hear you, Jed! Man, getting old is tough. :(