It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Creative Cloud........
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:32 am 

Ya the discount is good. Just purchased Affinity Photo for £29.99... looks good to me.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jedorme wrote:
I also went to Aperture when Adobe introduced their subscription model & am still using it for DAM. But I picked up Affinity Photo in Beta & bought the release a while back when it came out for $40. And it was just named Apple's Best App of the Year, so they are now selling it again for $40, 20% off normal purchase price of $50. If you are at all familiar with Photoshop which I also have but don't use much, you will have no problems with Affinity Photo. But it works much more simply & intuitive than PS & handles the Leica M-240 DNG files with ease. Very fast & powerful. Would love to see a review of it by LVL!

Nice! We actually beta tested it. :)

A review sounds like a fine idea!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:27 am 

It works fine from Bridge but I cant seem to get it to read Nik or Topaz plugins

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:49 pm 

Terry123 wrote:
It works fine from Bridge but I cant seem to get it to read Nik or Topaz plugins

There has been some discussion on the Affinity forum about plugins & I think there are some folks able to use Topaz but maybe not Nik. I think one of the developers responded that plugins are still being worked on & should be included in an update, which they do fairly frequently. They apparently are still focusing on core functions that need added. There is obviously a lot to do to catch up with what PS has taken Adobe 25 years to create.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jedorme wrote:
There has been some discussion on the Affinity forum about plugins & I think there are some folks able to use Topaz but maybe not Nik. I think one of the developers responded that plugins are still being worked on & should be included in an update, which they do fairly frequently. They apparently are still focusing on core functions that need added. There is obviously a lot to do to catch up with what PS has taken Adobe 25 years to create.

Hopefully it'll be addressed fairly soon - and not take forever like 16-bit support did w/Pixelmator... I use Silver Efex Pro, as I'm sure a lot of Monochrom/B&W shooters do.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:30 pm 

Double Negative & others interested in using PS plugins in the Affinity Photo software - here is an extract from the discussion on their forum about how to use plugins:

"First, you have to enter the paths containing your plugin folders in the Plugins Search Folders section of the Preferences -> Photoshop Plugins dialog box.

Next you have to enter the support path for those plugins in the Plugin Support Folders section of the same dialog box. As a general rule we have been told to use the / path since the proper path may differ for individual plugins.

This should allow you to be able to call your plugins and they may (or may not) work. Plugin support is still an ongoing effort and it has been hit-or-miss. Personally I find that I can call my Topaz plugins and some of them work and some of them do not work. However there is an update coming which we have been assured by the developers will fix the plugin issues. I believe that they have been concentrating on core editor functionality and leaving some of the other functionality to the end. I am reasonably sure that they will have it fully working in the next RC release or the one after that so I expect full functionality within the next week to 10 days. Note, however, that I am only a user, not a Serif developer or forum moderator so I may be wrong about the date for full functionality."

And here is a link to the complete discussion of this topic on their forum:
https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index. ... p-plugins/

Hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:10 am 

Thanks for the update on the plugin issue; I use Topaz Detail and Colour Effects pro mostly. I have had the software for 3 days only and in that time I am sure I have brilliant solution to my needs. Lightroom drives me mad with its almost total control over where your files live on your hard drive and I refuse to sign up to CC for PS. So I find myself stuck in a limbo using Elements a bit with LR thrown in and and some additional help from the main plugins. In the short time of using Affinlty I could have the 'perfect software'. The help videos are very using but there is a simple but effective logic to using the programme. I think we would all do well to support the software buy buying a copy; I can't believe what you are getting for only £29.99. There is also the possibility that it will become that good that the Adobe monster will gobble it up and we will be back to square one.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:05 pm 

Glad the plugin info was helpful & happy to hear that you are finding Affinity Photo to be a good program as well. Like you, I am surprised that it has not been more widely adopted & promoted within the Mac community of photographers. Agree that their video tutorials are very well done but wish there was a user manual or some better reference guide than their online help, which seems to have been patched together. But for the price, it is an incredible buy & good solution for Mac users forced away from Aperture & not wanting to use LR. Maybe being named by Apple their App of the Year will help promote it. Time will tell.