It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Article: Scanning Film. Workflow from scanning to editing to
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 am 

Hey guys,

I wrote a new article!

In this article I will go over my workflow for photos taken on film rather than digital. I will be using software suite Nikon Scan 4, and will go over the settings I use for scanning with the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED. This article will be most of interest to anyone using Nikon Scan 3 or 4 with any of the Nikon Coolscan film scanners. Some features and options will vary per scanner but most will be the same. It will also be interesting for people who use other scanners and software but will need to take this information as is and ‘translate’ it into their own software suites functions and options.

Please read the article here: Scanning film with Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 - Jip van Kuijk

I would love to receive comments and feedback here on the forum or in the comment section on my website.

Attachment:
AGFA_200_WINTER_LANSCAPE_BELGIUM_R8_35MM_ELMARIT_FILM_ANALOG_JIPVANKUIJK.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Article: Scanning Film. Workflow from scanning to editin
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:50 pm 

Nice images but these wonderful dedicated scanners are short-lived; something will blow and there's no replacing parts. A nice Minolta 5000 that I bought on eBay a year ago failed to operate properly using VueScan because, I believe, the USB port on my computer was too fast for the ancient Minolta and I just didn't want to go to the expense of a computer running Windows XP just for this. The lack of capable, rapid scanning options are more likely to kill film than anything else. Here in NY, developing and scanning at medium resolution at a lab will run in excess of $20. Way too costly for a hobbyist.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:56 pm 

Shetland wrote:
Nice images but these wonderful dedicated scanners are short-lived; something will blow and there's no replacing parts. A nice Minolta 5000 that I bought on eBay a year ago failed to operate properly using VueScan because, I believe, the USB port on my computer was too fast for the ancient Minolta and I just didn't want to go to the expense of a computer running Windows XP just for this. The lack of capable, rapid scanning options are more likely to kill film than anything else. Here in NY, developing and scanning at medium resolution at a lab will run in excess of $20. Way too costly for a hobbyist.

I can see what you mean, however I bought mine new in the box, and it still has warranty. if it breaks I get my money back. Also the USB speed can be changed on windows based computers to a lower speed by loading a old driver.

I've tried to explain how to use this old Nikon scanner as good as possible, but it's also fully compatible with Windows 7 and 8 which I will post a link to my workaround when available, it really is only 2 minutes work since I created a driver that you can just install.

Kind regards,

Jip

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scanners definitely do fade as technology advances, but thankfully we've standardized on a select few interface standards the last bunch of years.

Remember the SCSI scanners? SCSI all but disappeared, at least from the desktop market, and certainly with the huge plug. Then we went to mostly USB, some with Firewire. Now Firewire is essentially dead. I suspect that at some point - not anytime soon - we'll see Thunderbolt scanners.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:13 pm 

But this is the problem. There's a run on Kodak Pakon F-135 scanners lately. Operates only on Windows XP. No possibility of upgrade. You're left with a paperweight once it fries or that dedicated computer running it dies. Plustek is the last man standing unless you have $20k for an Imacon. Or stick with the molasses-slow Epson flatbeds. This reality is a greater threat to film that diminishing film types.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, true. Years ago, I had a special I/O board (LaserMaster) for an HP LaserJet III that required a special program on the Windows computer - giving it 800dpi instead of 300dpi. Once anything got out of whack, it was game over.

On the bright side, we can hope that "pro labs" will still be able to scan our films in the future. The question then becomes, "at what cost?"

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:45 am 

Double Negative wrote:
On the bright side, we can hope that "pro labs" will still be able to scan our films in the future. The question then becomes, "at what cost?"

Exactly.

My personal preference has always been for slow B&W films. With the MM I'm trapped at 320

Tri-X? To my eye, the MM does it better.

If a new CMOS Monochrom can bottom out at ISO 25-50, film and its associated scanning complications become further unappealing....imagine nursing an XP machine-or finding a replacement-- in 2020?!?! :roll:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 am 

xxx

Last edited by Shetland on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:42 am 

Why not use ND filters to go down to ISO 25 with your MM?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jip wrote:
Why not use ND filters to go down to ISO 25 with your MM?

This! I don't leave home without one. ;)

• LitPixel