MacPhun tonality (stand alone)

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MacPhun tonality (stand alone)
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:07 pm 

I'm reading "Revelations," the beautifully printed exhibition catalog of work by Diane Arbus, and it has revived my interest in shooting and printing in black & white. I currently use Lightroom, and print with a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Type II. Do any LVLrs have experience with MacPhun Tonality? I'm considering purchasing the stand-alone application ($69.00). I'm not interested in tools or presets that imitate old-fashioned images, or sepia staining, and such. I am interested in HDR, shadow detail without blowing highlights, and precise control of contrast. LR has worked OK for me on these points, but I'm interested in whether Tonality is significantly better in peoples' experience.

Post subject: Re: MacPhun tonality (stand alone)
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:00 pm 

I'd say it's about the same. Have you tried Capture One Pro?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:37 am 

I'm not that familiar with MacPhun's tonality in B&W, but if you're not satisfied with what you get out of LR, you might want to think about downloading the now free complete set of NIK filters. Google was charging over $300 I believe for them but recently decided not to continue developing or supporting them. They have a very capable B&W filter, widely used by many pros, called Silver EfEx Pro 2 that offers tonality adjustments not possible in LR. I use it & am very satisfied with it. Also included in the NIK set is an excellent HDR filter as well that could be used in conjunction with the B&W filter. That is one of the advantages of having the NIK complete set is that you can use them collaboratively, so for example you could use their color adjustments first to get the best range of colors for B&W conversion. They also include filters for noise adjustment & sharpening that might be of value as well. Take a look at the Google NIK Collection here: https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:39 pm 

JD, I haven't tried Capture One, but I'll look into it.
Jed, I'll review the info in the link you sent along.
Thanks, guys!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:53 am 

Another voice in support of Nik software plugin which I use most of the time in conjunction with LR.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:15 am 

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would either go with NIK's Silver Efex Pro (the ol' standby since the MM was introduced but aging since no more updates are provided) or give Macphun's Tonality a shot, a current and supported product.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:14 pm 

Or you might download the free NIK filters, give Silver EfEx Pro 2 a try but if not satisfied, then buy the Macphun Tonality. Then you could also use that in conjunction with the HDR, Color, Noice & Sharpening filters in the NIK collection.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39 am 

I downloaded the Nik filters, and I did find the plug-ins interesting. This was my first experience with HDR, and the resulting images were impressive, at least at first sight. I haven't printed any HDR images yet, or done side-by side comparisons, but it certainly has my attention. :o

I will continue playing around with the Nik plug-ins for a while. I looked at the CaptureOne Pro processor, and although its a bit more than I want to spend right now ($299, single-user), it looks very nice. In fact, I recommended it to a close friend who uses Nikon pro-level equipment, and I think he may invest in it. If he does, I will be interested in his evaluation. He started with LR6, and was so unhappy with it, he uninstalled it from his Mac. He was tired of it crashing, and he found Adobe's customer service completely unhelpful. :x