Best glass for Monochrom

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best glass for Monochrom
Unread postPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:00 am 

Re the 35 Cron 8-element, I tried one a couple of years ago along with a pre-asph Lux.
Long story short ended up buying the Lux as I couldn't see the magic from the Cron that justified the additional cost.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:05 am 

Shetland wrote:
swamiji wrote:
You are the artist, you can't really rely on others to choose your brush. You can ask what lens they like, but their artistic vision is different.

True, but because unlike most old Nikkors that are pretty affordable and easy to sell, the outlay for even an old Leica lens is sizable and so guidance from others is essential. At times, I do like the "character" element but not for all subjects at all times.

Quote:
Go to a dealer, try a few... Rent one that you like or borrow from a friend. It's your eye, your artistic vision, you need to decide what works for you.

Old stuff isn't available for renting so one must rely on available images and the opinions of another (taken with a grain or two of salt, as it were).

Well, as they say, in for a penny in for a pound... It's true that Leica lenses are not cheap, but we all knew that when we put down that first penny... My comment is actually universal for anybody who wants to express their artistic vision with a camera.

A friend and I traded Noctilux for a day, and I decided I preferred my old F/1 over the new f/.095, even though I thought for color his was better, but on my Monochrom it's (for Me) the f/1. Camera clubs, or your local Leica dealer has older lenses. My dealer will let you take a walk with a lens.... at least that’s a taste... Just because you can't rent them does not mean you have to rely on somebodies else's images, there are other options, if you put your mind to it.

Handling is one thing you can't get from a online photo, and that is something that is a major component in deciding on a lens. For example the 50mm Elmar f/2.8 has such a short focusing base, I just can't get it right, but I can handle the longer focusing on the cron...

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:40 pm 

Well this thread has been quiet too long... It all depends on what I am shooting, nature is nice with a good Cabernet Sauvignon but street requires Tequila.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:11 am 

Have been shooting with the 35 8-element and it is as impressive as touted for the Monochrom--not sure I would hold the same opinion for color images. Any optic that renders the grey tones with more subtlety seems suited. While the ASPH is noticeably sharper in the center, it also focus shifts beyond ƒ/2.8 on digital (which I did not appreciate on film) and at a shoot where I'd stopped down to ƒ/4 & 5.6, the focus on every single image was blown because of the phenomenon. I did't appreciate the same issue with the 8-element. In fact, will likely sell the ASPH because of this issue.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:53 pm 

Landed a 50 APO for a better price than the going rate; did so more out of curiosity and after being less-than-thrilled by a 50 Summilux (my sample had front-focus issues and helicoid problems--pretty inexcusable given its price); spherical aberrations lent a look at ƒ/1.4 that was appealing but still visible at ƒ/2.

My conclusion; pretty extraordinary bit of kit. The aperture dial is set at ƒ/2 and am regularly blown away by the optic; the resolving power of the thing almost precludes longer lenses <90mm. It is a Phenomenon in its own right.