Any Wet Shaving Fans?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any Wet Shaving Fans?
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ha! That's a crazy story, James! Thankfully I've never cut myself anything like that. In fact, and somewhat surprisingly (mostly when I first started) I never really cut myself at all. A couple of nicks here and there, but nothing some alum or a styptic pencil couldn't fix right quick.

I finally broke down and picked up a new Dovo Special 5/8" round straight razor and strop. Seeking the Best Shave Ever(TM) and BBS has lead me to this path of disfigurement and destruction. I was going to give it the maiden voyage this past weekend, but ended up not have the time and energy - so hopefully this one coming up. I'm nervous, but excited! I'm good with tools and based on my success with DE shaving... I think it'll go just fine.

That Merkur Futur is an awesome razor! When I first got it, we absolutely did NOT get along. I thought it was ridiculously harsh. Fast forward a few shaves and reassembling it myself, it clicked - and has been my favorite razor ever since! In fact, I shaved with it this morning...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:10 pm 

I had the exact same experience with the Futur! I really thought I had wasted the money on it, but when I returned to it some time later, as you say, "it clicked." I see you use the Plisson brush: how do you like it? Any thoughts on how it compares with Simpsons or Trumpers? My Trumper has served well for a long time, but its been losing individual hairs for a while, and I'm wondering how much more use I'll get out of it.

Also, I've never heard of Speick products, and I'd like to learn more about them. I'll do a Google search, but would be interested if you or any other LVL-ers have any opinions on their products.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that perhaps the Futur just wasn't aligned right as-bought. I took it apart, lubed the threads and made sure the head was screwed all the way in (sometimes they're not). And of course, a little practice in finding the angle - and it was golden!

The Plisson brush is a steal for $30. It's among the best synthetics out there, but is most definitely is a floppy brush. For more backbone, I like the Mühle (or Edwin Jagger) brushes. I like it though... Very plush feeling. I'm more of a silvertip badger kinda guy, and until recently - hated boars. That is, until I picked up the Semogue Owner's Club, for $28 direct from Portugal (http://tinyurl.com/pb9eezj)... Totally changed my opinion of them, and also a steal (they usually go for $40-45)! It does require a break-in period, typical of boar brushes, but it does so quickly - and softens up quite nicely!

Speick makes awesome products that perform very well. The bonus is that they're a drugstore staple in Germanic countries for cheap! The balm is very moisturizing and restorative for those rough days. The aftershave also. It's a unique scent though, rather herbal. Not a bad thing though!

Check out Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements if you like unique, quality artisan soaps and aftershaves. Very good quality at reasonable prices; I'm a huge fan. I have a ton of their products.

They'll be at Big Shave West tomorrow in Pasadena.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:59 pm 

Can't help it but this thread still makes me smile. Damn it, there's no peace from GAS no matter what we LVL'ers start doing :-)

On that note, I'm starting to finally run out of my disposable blades stock so O can start eyeballing "the real shaving kit" and join this "GAS parade"!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haha, yeah - no hiding from GAS 'round here buddy. :D

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:51 pm 

Thanks for the information. I just placed my first order with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. And the GAS just keeps on rollin'

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

James Lehrer wrote:
Thanks for the information. I just placed my first order with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. And the GAS just keeps on rollin'

You're very welcome! If you have any questions about their stuff, let me know. I have a lot of it... It's a bit of an obsession. ;)

AS/COLOGNE (17)

Ahab's Bitter
Al Fin
Amber
Autumn Factory
Beach
Cavendish
Clubguy
Dapper Doc's
Déjà Fougère
Dirty Cupcake
Jitterbug Fougere
King R. Emporium
Lime Ice Sage
Pomegranate Bay
Sandalwood
Sangre de Drago
Tombstone

SOAPS (11)

Aloha Smackdown
Beach
Cavendish
Clubguy
Dapper Doc's
Dirt
Frost Byte
Honeysuckle
King R. Emporium
Pumpk'n Spice 3.14
Sandalwood

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:54 pm 

Does anyone have any experiences with the Bluebeards Revenge series of shaving products?

They seem quite nice products and their marketing fluff suitably "tongue in cheek" for my persona ;-)

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jlindstrom wrote:
Does anyone have any experiences with the Bluebeards Revenge series of shaving products?

They seem quite nice products and their marketing fluff suitably "tongue in cheek" for my persona ;-)

You don't hear a lot about it, but those that have tried it thought it was pretty good - both in lathering and performance. Back in 2012 they could no longer sell in the U.S. under the name "Bluebeard's Revenge" and have since renamed to Dreadnaught here.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 am 

Well, it's time for me to get my beard wet. Just put in the order for a complete wet shave kit with different kinds of Bluebeards Revenge stuff. Hopefully will have it later this week.. I'll report back when I have my first cuts! (pun intended)

//Juha

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next