Any Wet Shaving Fans?

It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any Wet Shaving Fans?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:52 pm 

Here's most of what you'll need (counterclockwise from the back):
An earthenware or terra cotta scuttle (to keep your whipped lather warm); a pre-shave to soften the beard; shaving soap (or cream); razor (Merkur Barberpole in this case) & holder; shaving brush (badger in this case; may also be boar or synthetic bristles) & holder; and aftershave of your choice.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey, nice! A Proraso and Tabac fan!

Nice scuttle, too. I have the Georgetown Pottery G12 in hamada. Love it.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Any Wet Shaving Fans?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:26 pm 

Still not doing it :-) But starting to run out of blades, so soon.. actually a friend of mine is already doing it and has found a good place to source the blades locally.

As for the Tabac.. speechless. I will not be doing that! Next up Old Spice? :-D (sorry for the pun, just had to.. too many stereotypes around for Tabac)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:19 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
Hey, nice! A Proraso and Tabac fan!

Nice scuttle, too. I have the Georgetown Pottery G12 in hamada. Love it.

My scuttle is the Sara Bonnyman Moss... use really hot water & it's reminiscent of what you got from the electric lather-dispensing machine you used to see in barber shops (I know that ages me...). :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jlindstrom wrote:
Still not doing it :-) But starting to run out of blades, so soon.. actually a friend of mine is already doing it and has found a good place to source the blades locally.

As for the Tabac.. speechless. I will not be doing that! Next up Old Spice? :-D (sorry for the pun, just had to.. too many stereotypes around for Tabac)

It will forever change how you shave, I bet!

Tabac, yeah - overseas it's like Old Spice is here (an "old man's scent"). But over here it's not really known and quite popular in the shaving circles. I happen to like it a lot and have most of the line, from bath soap to shaving soap, cream, aftershave and EdT. The performance of the soap/cream is VERY good.

hendriphile wrote:
My scuttle is the Sara Bonnyman Moss... use really hot water & it's reminiscent of what you got from the electric lather-dispensing machine you used to see in barber shops (I know that ages me...). :mrgreen:

I never got shaves at the barber, but I can imagine. I use mine all year round, summer and winter. I just love the warm lather!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:06 pm 

check this out, buddy

http://www.japanese-razor.com/

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been curious to try a straight razor, but honestly - as much as I love the "old process" that's just way too much work, and I don't think going near my face with a straight that early in the morning before my allotment of coffee is a good idea. :p

My favorite DE razor is about as close as you can get to a straight though; a custom Mühle R41 (with stainless steel bulldog handle). With a Japanese Feather blade, it's a damn good shave - every single time. Love this thing! But it requires that you pay attention - no slacking!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:16 pm 

I like wet-shaving, too. I tried an electric razor once about 40 years ago and ended up with very irritated skin for several days. I used a DE razor from the start, probably because that's what my Dad used. My first DE razors were blue-steel Gillette, in an old solid brass Gillette handle (which I still have). In the early 70s my Dad and I "discovered" stainless Wilkinson Sword DE blades, and they served until I had a talk about shaving with the proprietor - Fred - of Standard Cutlery in Beverly Hills. That little shop carried an extraordinary stock of razors, knives, optics and other items, both new and antique. Fred was very knowledgable about blade materials and sharpening, and one day I went in and asked him what I could do to get a smoother shave. He "diagnosed" my shaving procedure, and it turned out I wasn't getting enough hot water into the foam on my face. He sold me a badger shaving brush from Trumper's in London, and right away I found I could keep the shaving cream foam much wetter, and the razor glided smoothly and with less irritation and tendency to nick. At that time I was using tubed shaving cream purchased from Caswell & Massey.

As time went by, I tried different Merkur handles from Germany, including the adjustable model. I switched to Merkur DE blades, and started using shaving cream sold in plastic tubs. I still used tubed shaving cream when I travelled for work, and therein lies a story.

Before I retired from my position as a Managing Attorney at Southern California Edison Company, I frequently represented the Company in regulatory hearings before the California Public Utilities Commission, which has its main office in San Francisco. I was in San Francisco for a week-long hearing and I was annoyed because I had to be there on my 25th wedding anniversary. I must have awakened that morning with a chip on my shoulder, because while putting the DE blade in the handle I absent-mindedly cut my right thumb rather badly. I improvised a bandage with tissue paper and Band-Aids and headed to the Commission. During the hearing I was busily taking notes, and I noticed one of the Commissioners staring intently at me. One of our Vice-Presidents was sitting next to me, and he pointed to my note-pad...it was almost covered in blood. :o I turned the page, stopped taking notes, and held my hand below the counsel table, where it could drip on the floor unseen. :o

Later that day I was walking outside the Commission building when I ran into the Commissioner, who asked me if I was alright. I explained what had happened and he laughed and asked if I know that BIC had come out with safer disposable razors years ago?!

One of my colleagues in the SCE Law Department had particularly sensitive skin, and he settled on a regimen - recommended by a dermatologist - in which he uses a Gillette Good News 2-bladed disposable razor once, and then threw it away. He also uses Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin from Taylor's of Old Bond Street. I adopted this regimen shortly after the San Francisco debacle, and haven't had skin irritation or serious cuts since then.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:31 am 

I love "taylor of old bond street" shaving cream.... Have you never tried the "lime" flavor ? In spring / summer is fantastic!
Cheers
Massimo

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:32 pm 

No, Massimo, I haven't tried it. I'll check it out next time I drop by "The Shave." Generally I steer clear of scented shaving cream, both because some can irritate sensitive skin, and also to avoid conflict with whatever cologne I might be wearing. However, I do love the scent of limes!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next