The Leica M9/M9-P/M-E/MM White Spot Sensor Issue

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Leica M9/M9-P/M-E/MM White Spot Sensor Issue
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This thread is for discussing the "white spot" sensor issue affecting Leica M9, M9-P, M-E and M Monochrom cameras.

See also our informal poll on the matter - please take a moment to vote, whether or not your sensor is exhibiting this issue. This way we can get a sense of how big this issue might be.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: The Leica M9/M9-P/M-E/MM White Spot Sensor Issue
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have it on good info that the glue between the sensor and cover glass is the real problem here, and that Leica will be making an official announcement tomorrow.

Yes, you heard both of these here first. ;)

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:53 pm 

Great news.
Being a 6 months M9 owner, I was starting to think about sell it with loss while I still have several months warranty from the dealer - I don't want to end up with larger loss after coup,e of years using it.
Now I kinda feel more confident that I would be able to use my lens with the M9 with the nice Kodak CCD.
Looking forward the announcement.

Post subject: Regarding the sensor issue.
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:33 pm 

http://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Lei ... CD-Sensors

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Go, Leica!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:48 pm 

Question: will the white spot issue occur for all units, just a matter of time, or is it safe to assume that if it hasn't occurred in 4 years the sensor is sound?

Thx, Martin

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The sensor cracking issue was easier to say that if it hasn't happened to you yet, it shouldn't in the future. This corrosion issue depends on multiple factors and the only way to know for sure is if Leica service looks at it. Worse, it applies to multiple cameras that all share the same issue - whereas the former only applied to a specific range of M9 cameras.

If it hasn't happened to you yet, it's somewhat reasonable to assume it won't happen - but sadly, it could just be a matter of time. Even the replacement sensors (for now) don't eliminate the possibility.

The good thing about Leica's resolution is that they will replace your sensor if and whenever it exhibits this issue, and they're working to find a permanent solution. There is one small problem... They've stated they won't spend an inordinate amount of time looking for a permanent solution, so if one isn't found... The problem is never really fixed... And eventually, the sensors will run out. Though this might be years. Remember, the M-E and M Monochrom are still current production cameras.

The thing to keep in mind is that we're talking about digital camera technology, and like computers - they're living on borrowed time from day one. At least Leica is making good as best they can, given the circumstances.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:26 pm 

I sent my M-E to the US repair HQ in Allendale, NJ, using the free packing and forwarding service provided by my local dealer, Leica Store LA, with a request to quick for the de-lamination/spotting issue. I did not see any spots, but I wanted Leica US service to confirm the sensor's condition.

The camera body arrived back at the dealer one month later, cleaned and checked, and with a written confirmation that no problem was found. If they had found a sensor defect, I was prepared to accept their offer to upgrade to a M-P. However, I am very comfortable with the slightly smaller, lighter M-E and its CCD sensor, so the story ends well except for the Leica withdrawals I suffered while the M-E was sitting in the service bay.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:58 am 

My M9 went back to Leica last year (June 2014) and returned with new sensor......

I am just beginning to get white spots on the new sensor. April 2015. (This new sensor has only ever been "blown" clean; no wet cleaning.)

It makes me wonder if the replacement sensor are not deteriorating in the factory.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:51 pm 

That's distressing, Anthony. I'm curious: when blowing the sensor clean, did you use a bulb-type blower, or compressed air? If the latter, what brand? Also, is your M9 exposed to high humidity?

I hadn't thought of the sensors deteriorating in Leica storage, but it seems like a possibility. If that is the case, it may make keeping an M9 or M9-P in use problematic, at best.