Weight and thickness

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight and thickness
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:02 am 

I have had an M6 for a long time now, but the advantages of digital make the M attractive. The problem is that it’s just too heavy and bulky. By the time I have added my Summilux f1.4 to the M it will weigh over 1kg! Can someone please explain why this is the case. I can understand that a sensor and screen need to be accommodated and that lens to sensor surface separation can’t be reduced below a certain distance. It looks like the CCD sensor on the M9 allowed the lens to sensor to be less. Is that true? Is there any other reason why the camera is so thick? Does the metal shutter make it thicker?
To reduce weight could the body be made of lighter materials? I suspect that the brass top part of the camera and the base plate are a given, but could the chassis be made lighter?
I suspect that the M 240 will be around for another couple of years, but the next M needs to be lighter and if possible thinner.

Comments please…

Post subject: Re: Weight and thickness
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First off, welcome to LVL!

The digital M cameras, starting with the M8 - are all noticeably thicker feeling in hand than the film cameras that preceded them. Visually, it's not so obvious. Just nature of the beast... Between the shutter, sensor, LCD... It all adds up.

If the body and top/bottom plates were made of cheaper materials, people would complain about that instead. The bodies have (largely) had a history of using brass for the top and bottom plates and anything less probably wouldn't be well received. Could Leica make a lightweight digital M? Absolutely. Go for broke and use composite materials for the body, top and bottom. Though I fear the price...

It's all relative. Pick up a Canon 5D Mark III and comparable L lens - and then pick up the Leica. ;)

Of course, you could also check out the Fuji X series of cameras if you really need the light weight (e.g. X100T or X-Pro1). Granted, not full frame - but that's okay. You can adapter your M lenses to the latter.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:12 am 

Yes have a Fuji x100t and it's a bit light! Also have N800 and that with old style 35-70 is heavy probably a bit heavier than M with 50mm Sumillux but not much. So the sweetspot is heavier than the fuji but lighter than the Leica. Sony country I fear, but I won't go there it's so ugly!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's also not very user friendly, the Sony... Designed by geeks, not photographers!

• LitPixel