Late DRF Bloomer

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Late DRF Bloomer
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:14 am 

I have an M8.2, something I jumped into early last year. I have 3 lenses, a 35 Lux, 90 Cron & 28 f2.8 Carl Zeiss. These lenses I share with my M6. Coming from a SLR (nikon) background starting in the mid 70's, and my adaptation to the DSLR (nikon then canon) system in 2001, i have to say that there were many things to learn again, and many things to unlearn.

So far I have not been disappointed with the images of Leica (digital and film) they are different, which at the end of the day, is the true test to the pudding. Unlike the Slr and DSLR itch, i had to test or acquire most of my lenses from zooms to primes just to have the experience, most of them have come and gone through the years; same as with the body upgrades particularly true with the DSLR's era.

My inflection point is the leap from DSLR to DRF. The need to acquire new lenses was not the same, i wanted to get the most out of what i had, unlike DSLR's, it was insatiable. Had I known Leica then, I would have jumped into the RF world earlier and saved myself tons of money, buying and selling glass, in search of the holy grail.

Today, the M9/M9p/Mono/M240 are out, will i begin all over again? B)

From the M3-M7, users have used , traded, preserved them till today - not all versions perfect, but still widely used and have amazingly kept it's value through the years.

Will it hold true for the digital RF Leica's and their support of their old products as they have done with the mechanical counterparts? I will eventually find myself upgrading to a newer and later model, like an M9P. I am still learning, and being this long in photography as a serious hobby, Leica has added life in my interest in photography. What they do to keep the old M8.2 running will determine how far i will go to being an evangelist of Leica.

Derick Gamboa
Manila, Philippines

Post subject: Re: Late DRF Bloomer
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 am 

Btw, if we were to follow history and it's resulting out come, the M8/M8.2 may very well be the M3 of Digital.

Post subject: Re: Late DRF Bloomer
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

Digital repair is a wholly different animal than mechanical/analog repair. With film Ms the parts that aren't readily available can likely always be made because they are somewhat simple things (springs, screws, fabric curtains, machined brass, etc), for digital there is so much out sourcing of pieces (one factory makes the sensor, another the screen, another the processor, etc) that once production ceases of an essential part of the camera there is nothing that can be done except finding an already produced replacement part...which will run out.

A digital camera can last a long time, but I don't think there will be any M8 or M9 being used in 50 or even 20 years, but I imagine (if there is some kind of film or alternative available) that 100 year old M3s will be used in 2054 and beyond