Fuji X Shooters

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fuji X Shooters
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jairyhunter wrote:
I bought the X Pro-1 I guess to not worry so much about the heft and expense (fear) of carrying my M8 for personal shooting--family outings, Disney, etc. Plus, I have just never been satisfied with the M8...the magenta shift was a pain, the noisy shutter, poor performance at ISO >320....etc. I do like the look and weight of the X Pro-1, the way it feels in the hand, and the finish. It's taken a good bit of getting used to, though, especially the digital viewfinder that everyone raves about. Some of the buttons are difficult or let's say not facile to reach quickly while you're shooting. The 35mm kit lens feels light and slightly plastic-ey. And I really have not been as impressed with the IQ, although after running through CS5, I guess they are alright. I'm also not sure how I feel about it not being a rangefinder. I may be spoiled, but I just like rangerfinders. So, I sold my M8, an old 5D (Mk I) that was collecting dust, and my DLux--although I really liked that too. I'm scrounging to save for the M 240. If it compares favorably to the X Pro-1, I'm saying bye to the Fuji.

That makes a lot of sense; using the Fuji as a more "take everywhere" kind of camera. Especially with a zoom lens. It could very much replace a bag of lenses, etc. I took a Canon S95 with me recently to WDW (along with the M9 and lenses) and oddly enough - I don't recall using it once! Not that it's a bad camera (far from it actually). I guess these little things aren't my cup of tea, or something.

You did use UV/IR filters with the M8, no? You shouldn't have had any magenta issues with it (though perhaps with uncoded wides). As for the noisy shutter, yeah it's a bit jarring (especially after shooting the M9 for so long). Heh. At least it goes to 1/8000s (if you have an non "upgraded" classic model).

I did have a chance to take a look at the X-Pro-1 yesterday at B&H. Lovely little camera, but you're right - it's definitely not a Leica. It reminded me a lot of the Voigtländer Bessa or Zeiss Ikon bodies. That same "stamped steel" kind of feel. I think I too am spoiled at this point. LOL. Otherwise, the controls, the function of it, etc. seemed alright. One thing I didn't like about the EVF was that it was jerky when moving quickly; but the hybrid info available was cool. I could see myself getting used to one (as a secondary camera).

Those pictures look rather nice! Especially considering the tricky lighting. Fuji definitely got the color down with these cameras.

One thing that was reconfirmed though, and something I was worried about. I was hoping the larger, clearer LCDs would obviate the need for me to have to wear glasses to shoot. Sadly, I couldn't read the buttons or LCD well enough without. Ugh.

I like the M. What can I say... Few options, and dials or buttons for the important stuff. You can operate it by "feel" practically.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:38 pm 

@Double Negative: I finally did get the UV/IR filters and that made a world of difference, it was just that....I expected more from Leica. And of course, I bought my M8 used, so the free filters were already claimed.

The concerns you mentioned with the XPro-1 are valid and real. I am still getting used to it, I really want to love it! I am a little put out by the auto-parallax correction (?) that shifts the frame lines within the viewfinder to reflect where you should be framing...I guess that's right. It's a pain sort of but I guess I should be glad they offer that.

I suppose I have really high expectations and I haven't become facile enough with the XPro -1 to account for what I think I want. Thought I would love the autofocus feature, but honestly, the only autofocus fast enough to be worth a darn is a DSLR. For what I get with a point and shoot (had a DLux also) or the XPro-1, I might as well focus manually.

Also I forgot to point out that having to shoot JPGs and not having a file converter (or even having to convert a file to RAW) is a giant pain.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:52 pm 

A couple more shots....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.