Nice Leica X2 write-up

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nice Leica X2 write-up
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:49 am 

For the world of it, I still can't understand why the X2 is getting such bad rep. Seems that all these reviewers etc keep giving it hell for no obvious reasons. Most of the negatives mentioned are there by design and known beforehand.. As for owners, from what I've understood, they love it. The ones who made a bad choice and sold it immediately, I think didn't do their research in advance.

Anyway, just ran into a recent "review" I suppose. Thought I'd post it here as I think it was a good read and a fair assesment of the X2.

http://tinyurl.com/clza9uy

--Juha

Post subject: Re: Nice Leica X2 write-up
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting read, that review. And I'd have to agree; while the X1 might not have been quite there, the X2 addresses many of those problems. One certainly can't fault the output - even at ISO 6,400. Of the five "negatives" at the end, two of them right off the bat don't bother me at all (no self timer and only whole stops). I never use the former and typically use the latter even on the M. The rest wouldn't really be show-stoppers for me either.

Personally, the X2 doesn't interest me because of its very nature - not that it's a bad camera (so not the camera's fault). If I had to say something negative, I might suggest that the price is a bit high for what it is. But then... It IS what it is. A Leica. ;)

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 am 

It is a good review, but I don't really get the negatives. The full stop thing - I'm not sure what camera she's thinking, but she's mistaken about this. My dial adjusts in third-stop increments, as does the camera if you put the dial on "A". 1/30 is plenty fast enough for hand held IMO, as long as my subject isn't running a foot race at night. It hasn't happened yet, but if my subject blurs I'll switch to shutter-priority mode with a flick of the dial and let the ISO ramp itself up. If I need serious speed, I grab my DSLR anyway. For my purposes, that's not what the X2 is about. 30 second exposure is long enough for me, but I suppose a longer option wouldn't hurt. A thread for a cable release would have been cool though. As for the DNG+JPG thing, I read somewhere that the reason for this, above all else, is so the camera can have a smaller file to process for the LCD (playback, etc). Makes sense to me, I wouldn't think there is enough horsepower to crunch a DNG for playback without really slowing everything down. It lets you record smaller JPG files anyway if worried about card space. I am enamored with the files produced my my X2. My only gripe, like almost everyone else apparently, is the price. Like Double Negative said, it IS a Leica, so that means $$$. It's true there are cheaper cameras that blow the X2 away on paper, but there is something special about the joy of use, the intuitive handling and the "look" to the images that only Leica can pull off. Someone mentioned on another forum: "Where can you buy a new Leica LENS for $2K, let alone with a camera attached to it?"

Jeff

Ty Webb, "Caddyshack"

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:32 am 

Speaking of write-ups... It's interesting that after the initial "hands on" reports of the X2, it's almost been silenced to death. Meaningful reviews with current firmware are few and far apart. Also the user base seems to be highly polarized. Most users love it to bits, while there are some who are immediately swapping it to "X100's of the world".

Wonder if the X2 is really selling bad or why it is, that there's so little meaningful discussions going on around it.

Also there was a favorable write-up about the X2 in Forbes recently: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jackforster ... -leica-x2/

//Juha

PS. still thinking about getting one..