So Long, Canon?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So Long, Canon?
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new M has me seriously considering selling off my Canon DSLR (a 1D Mark IIn) and collection of EF lenses... Which I've been holding off selling, hoping for a body in between the 5D Mark III and 1Dx (basically a 1Ds Mark IV). Honestly, ever since I starting shooting RFs again it's all seen less and less use. I'd love to unload the gear.

So I'm thinking a nice mid-range zoom R lens with the new adapter (which is the one thing I truly miss from the DSLR) and the existing M lenses - and be done with it. The M can pretty much do everything now.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: So Long, Canon?
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

To begin with I didn't have much use for my Canon since getting into rfs except the occasional favor for a friend type of thing...but in anticipation of the M10 and the likelihood of more similar things to come Ive sold it off, and purchased a NEX 5n (at a very good price now) to hold me over on the digital and macro front until I pull the trigger on the M. You've got your Hassy I don't see why you need a Canon and an M9 when you can have just have the M with a backup that feels financially logical (be it your M9, an M8, or Fuji/Sony w/ adapters)

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
The new M has me seriously considering selling off my Canon DSLR (a 1D Mark IIn) and collection of EF lenses... Which I've been holding off selling, hoping for a body in between the 5D Mark III and 1Dx (basically a 1Ds Mark IV). Honestly, ever since I starting shooting RFs again it's all seen less and less use. I'd love to unload the gear.

It sounds like the new M will meet your needs very well. I'm just puzzled by your desire for something "in between" the 5D Mark III and the 1DX. They are already so close, I don't know what Canon could possibly build in between those two models. The 5DIII offers virtually all of the benefits of the 1DX (and any theoretical 1Ds Mark IV), but in a smaller, lighter and more affordable body.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ZlatkoB wrote:
It sounds like the new M will meet your needs very well. I'm just puzzled by your desire for something "in between" the 5D Mark III and the 1DX. They are already so close, I don't know what Canon could possibly build in between those two models. The 5DIII offers virtually all of the benefits of the 1DX (and any theoretical 1Ds Mark IV), but in a smaller, lighter and more affordable body.

You're right, "in between" is perhaps not the best way to put it. Basically the resolution of the 1Ds and 5D Mark III models (21-22MP vs. 18MP of 1Dx), the pro features of the 1D series (notably AF) yet the smaller size of the non-pro bodies. Along the lines of the 1v. Basically, I was hoping for a higher resolution than the 1Dx and something a little more "pro" than the 5D Mark III.

Picky? Maybe, sure. :p

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:51 pm 

The 5D III is fully "pro". That's why it is priced so far above the 5D II. A lot of people say that the 5D III is overpriced, but they don't realize that the 5D III is a substantial upgrade over the 5D II. Perhaps Canon mis-named it, because it is essentially a 1D in a smaller body — hence the 1D-like price. The 5D III has the autofocus of the 1D series — Canon's best autofocus. Really, the 5D III leaves very little to be desired. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it is perfect for many pros.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll have to take a closer look at the Mark III as the previous models were definitely not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I love my Canon gear. We've just grown apart.

Truth be told, I don't miss the weight/bulk of it all either.

• LitPixel