Leica Releases v1.162 Firmware for M9

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leica Releases v1.162 Firmware for M9
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In case you haven't heard...

Today Leica has released the latest firmware for the M9, v1.162. You can download it here, along with the instructions and a list of the improvements.

The improvements for this release are:

1. Camera Performance:

- Improvement of the sensor homogeneity for wide-angle lenses. There is an additional colour calibration for all wide-angle lenses, that minimizes chromatic deviations between image centre and image corner, especially in critical shooting situations.

- Optimization of internal processes. To assure the general system stability, internal software processes have been optimized.

2. Bug fixes:

- Improvements in Italian translations

Some additional background information on this interesting firmware update - over here on the LUF blog.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Leica Releases v1.162 Firmware for M9
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just tried my own 4/21 Color Skopar.

Wide open uncoded, it's much better than before the update. Less red edge and vignetting, but still some there. Coded (as a 2,8/21 Elmarit)... There's a tiny, tiny bit of red edge still when coded - but vignetting is pretty much gone. You could totally shoot this as-is and not notice it most of the time. This lens is not only "usable" on the M9 now; it's darn good!

No more need for CornerFix for this lens, basically. SWEET. This begs the question if the 4,5/21 Biogon ZM is now "usable" on the M9! This could change everything.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Leica Releases v1.162 Firmware for M9
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just did a quick test of probably my favorite lens, the 2,8/25 Biogon ZM. I tried wide open at f/2.8 and f/5.6. Because of the framelines it brings up, I have to code it as a 2/28 Summicron ASPH (which isn't the "ideal" setting generally). Before the update, there was some red edging, though not much - still, noticeable - and some vignetting.

Post update, the vignetting is almost completely removed, though perhaps a slight trace remains (I don't care, it's wide open and I like vignetting anyway). But the best news is that there's absolutely NO hint of red edge whatsoever! None.

• LitPixel