What's your platform of choice and why?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's your platform of choice and why?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In an interesting conversation with a certain vendor today, and knowing what I know from being "in the scene" it's clear that Apple products make up the majority of our devices today. In fact, looking at the statistics from La Vida Leica over the last six months, the top five platforms are:

• Macintosh - 48.07%
  • Windows - 36.68%
  • iPad - 9.60%
  • iPhone - 3.10%
  • Linux - 1.36%

The Mac makes up nearly 50% of all accesses! But wait a moment. Add up the Apple products in that top five and you get almost 61%! I've been in "the industry" (IT) for a long, long time - and I remember a time when Apple had one foot in the grave. As a Mac user myself (and a shareholder) I'm quite pleased with this.

So anyway, to the point of the thread...

For my image editing, storage and organization, working on the site - basically everything I do both personally and professionally - I use a mix of Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and iPad. Some time this year I'll be adding a MacBook Air (for travel to replace the MacBook Pro) and possibly upgrading the Mac Pro - maybe with an iMac.

Oddly enough, I never liked Macs until Mac OS X came out. I blindly bought a G4 with OS X 10.1 on it back in 2001, and it literally changed everything. Haven't bought anything non-Apple since. I used to run PCs with Windows, PCs and workstations with Linux and Solaris. While I still use the latter for servers, I no longer use any of them on the desktop. Heck, I haven't used Windows since NT! I just like the user experience, the design of the hardware and software - and the integration of it all. And it all "just works" as Steve used to say. I suspect most people do.

I think the 13" MacBook Air is probably the ultimate travel laptop available today, especially for us digital Leica shooters. Why? Besides the obvious build quality, being a Mac, yada yada - its screen is large enough and speed fast enough to handle post-processing with aplomb. The icing on the cake is the integrated SD card slot.

I fairly sure I know what the answers are going to be just by looking at the statistics above, but what's your platform - and why?

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: What's your platform of choice and why?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:25 pm 

Mac.
Quick
Clean
Simple.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

Mac, because that's the way it's always been. But logically it would still be my choice if I was contemplating between the two because of the often flawless usability, constant software and hardware upgrades, and the fact that I can count on customer service to fix any issues within a reasonable time often for free.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:55 pm 

Mac.
After using Linux for several years it is like vacation. Never did care much for Windoze, and OS/2 was discontinued.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see a pattern here. :D

I used Linux as a desktop for the better part of a decade myself. After a while, I just got tired of the maintenance - and the hacking which used to be fun started to get tedious. I was spending more time doing that than anything else. I started to get into Solaris more and more and did that for a while. That's when the Mac thing happened and that, as they say - was that.

Funny, I did a brief stint with OS/2 Warp 4. :)

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:59 pm 

I'm in the Mac brigade.

First used an original Mac in the 80's but could not afford one, so stuck with PCs. Returned to the Mac in 2002 with a couple of G4s soon to be replaced with a a duel G5 Mac Pro. I now have 2 Intel iMacs and a Mac book Air, although I've had several other Apple notebooks in between.

Can't every imagine not using a Mac!

A moustache isn't just for November.

Flickr: My Photostream

Flicker Group: Canon FD Lenses on Leica M (240)