keep the m9?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: keep the m9?
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 pm 

I know this topic isn't going to win any popularity contests, but I felt this is the right place to ask.. I feel the crowd here is more quality and less quantity, so I'm sort of expecting to get less of the heated fanboy talk and more of the "been there and this is what I'm doing now" kind of opinions.

Anyway to the topic. I'm starting to doubt wether I should keep the leica m9 or switch to a dslr. I love the size of Leica and I esspecially love the glass. But I'm just too damn slow with manual focus.. ppl get bored waiting for me to focus if I ask them to stay put for a while and smile etc etc. Don't get me wrong, I knew what I was doing whenI bought my M9 & previously M8 & before that a Bessa R3A.. when I have the time & liberty to shoot in peacem, I enjoy it tremendeously and I tend to get enjoyable results too. But moving targets or passing moments are hard.

Recently bought the x2 and it reminded me how autofocus can be a friend. I know it's not all the rage with X2 but it's faster than me..

So this all got me thinkin dslr + couple of primes. And even the weight with the primes + d600 or d800e isn't that much more, maybe 150-200g more than my m9 gear + x2. The size & complexity is another thing.. but definitely would want full frame, not aps-c or m4/3 or anything like that with adapters etc for the M-glass. Only way I'm keeping my m-glass is with m-body. Plus it wouldn't help with AF either. And also have preference for nikon from times past..

suppose the ideal would be m9 sized dslr body with same m9 functions + fast autofocus. Maybe add spot & matrix metering, nothing more. Oh and have M quality glass..

Would be a dream come true, but alas such doesn't exist. And can't afford both dslr & m9. New M doesn't help either.

Have done similar thinking at some stage? What was the 'net result'? Are you thinking it now?

Anyway, just open for discussion here. Let's keep it civilized & toss around thoughts & ideas..

--Juha

Post subject: Re: keep the m9?
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm 

Keep the M9 and get a nice little changeable lens camera like and Olympus OMD EM-5 for the quick machine gun stuff.

You'll be pleased........

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:26 am 

That might be an option as well. We do (=wife has) have the original nex-5 in the household as well, but it's AF is in the same caliber with the X2. Suppose I could update that to the om-d.. Have to think about that.

That stay happy part is for sure where you're correct. I do absolutely love the m9. That's one of the most annoying parts to admit, that all this wondering has nothing to do with the cameras abilities but purely mine. I know many people can be amazingly fast with their manual focus.

--Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 am 
A Pentax K5 IIs might be an affordable option beside the M9. The camera has no AA filter , so the image character is similar to the M9, both camera and Pentax lenses (nothing wrong with those) are quite affordable. Best of two worlds.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:36 am 

How about the new, yes there is always "new", Sony RX1. Full frame, quick focusing BUT fixed 35mm lens. I just splashed out , what am I saying.... tsunami not splash.... on a Monochrom so my bank account is empty. But if I had the spare cash I would consider the RX1 for those "I'm not quick enough" moments when I can't pre-focus.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:14 am 

Jaapv: funnily enough I was already looking at that myself. Though with the though what if I replace the M9. But you're absolutely correct in the sense that the K-5 II S is actually priced quite similar to the om-d. More food for thought.

Bogaertphoto: I think the RX1 is way too expensive for me in this situation. If I could afford it, I could also afford the D600 with some primes. And also I just got the X2, which fills the need for a pocketable camera. And also has 35mm FOV.

In general the pocketable part & top quality part I have already in the X2 + M9. What I miss at times is the fast focusing and that's in the dslr fast territory..

In so many ways this whole situation is rather "stupid". My photographic needs are usually quite ordinary, so it does feel idiotic if I have to add a camera to the household... Need to have a chat with the SWMBO as well about trading that nex-5. If she's ok with trading it to a real dslr such as the K-5 IIs or D600 or the OM-D then this should resolve pretty easily.

Then get something like a small canon p&s to be used as daily shooter. The older models you can get for 100€ brand new and even less 2nd hand.. they're ok for daytime snapshots.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:20 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

I don't know if just auto focus would cause me to change systems completely, but if I wanted to utilize some of those features that make an SLR more versatile than other cameras--like telephoto lenses, macro, good video, good auto focus, good high iso, etc--then I definitely wouldn't have any quibbles about making the switch. I understand the annoyance of manual focus, especially when shooting people wide open, but like others have mentioned...perhaps an OM-D or small DSLR would suffice in those instances when you know autofocus would be used.

And if you find yourself preferring the autofocus camera over the course of a couple months, then there's no reason not to ditch the M9 for a DSLR. I just wouldn't jump the gun on something like selling your lenses, because they could be quite difficult to find again (if you change your mind) once the M(10) starts shipping and new customers begin arising.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:37 pm 

kokoshawnuff wrote:
I don't know if just auto focus would cause me to change systems completely, but if I wanted to utilize some of those features that make an SLR more versatile than other cameras--like telephoto lenses, macro, good video, good auto focus, good high iso, etc--then I definitely wouldn't have any quibbles about making the switch. I understand the annoyance of manual focus, especially when shooting people wide open, but like others have mentioned...perhaps an OM-D or small DSLR would suffice in those instances when you know autofocus would be used.

And if you find yourself preferring the autofocus camera over the course of a couple months, then there's no reason not to ditch the M9 for a DSLR. I just wouldn't jump the gun on something like selling your lenses, because they could be quite difficult to find again (if you change your mind) once the M(10) starts shipping and new customers begin arising.

It's not really that the manual focus annoys me. I'm actually quite fond of my M9 and it's very pleasing when I nail a shot. I like the process and simplicity very much. Best camera/system I've ever had. It is my own inability to focus fast enough and that's all there's to it. Don't need video or advanced focus systems or any of that.. I'd be happy with a fast 1-point center only AF in a M9 :-)

But there lies a truth in your words.. I just saw one camera shop selling a used Nikon D60 for 110€ and add to that a 35/1.8 Nikon DX prime.. I should have a dslr with 50mm fov in under 300€. And in a small package.. then maybe later add the new 70-200/4 VR and I'd have tele also. Haven't really missed it, but as my daughter grows I can imagine things like kindergarden christmas plays etc where tele would be handy..

And at that price I can for sure keep my 9!

//J

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm 

A little time has passed and serious thinking has been done... For now I won't do anything about the cameras, but use them. Instead I will save the money, try and have some fun and take some photos.

I figured I'll save up for the M (240) trade. Saving money until then and taking some photos should be a useful combination. If I'm at that point happy with my choice, I can the either upgrade the M9 or upgrade my 50 slux to aspherical or if I'm really annoyed with myself, then change system. All in all, I'd say it's not an effort wasted.

Only need for the M would come from that potential need for tele. Say something like 180 apo R. And that evf might help with faster focusing..

In the mean time I'll propably get the evf for my X2, which will then in turn work with that possible M.

Think I'm starting to make sense :-)

//J

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:25 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

That does make sense. I know that the more I shoot, my focusing abilities and focusing speed increase exponentially...so get out there and keep shooting :)