M9 and Moirée......

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M9 and Moirée......
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:43 pm 

I was asked to do the photographs a friend's daughter's wedding... M9 and Summicron 50.

Luckily this was not the only Bride and Groom shot I did:

Attachment:
Wedding_Moiree-1.jpg

And here's an enlargement of the heart of the matter:

Attachment:
Wedding_Moiree-2.jpg

Now before I had my sensor changed I never saw Moirée on the M9; I showed some examples to Leica Head office and they said it was normal.

Question is: is this normal? Is everyone else getting it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: M9 and Moirée......
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 pm 

It is Moire. And, yes, depending on the exposure it is not uncommon. Fixable in post processing to an extent. Also.......try pulling up,the shadows a tad. Great shot tho.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:40 pm 

It is a nice shot, Antony. I wonder, is the moire an interference pattern caused by the fabric of the groom's vest? I've seen bright lights create similar patterns when raking across certain types of finely-ribbed silk fabrics.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:53 am 

Good afternoon JDLaing and James and all,

Thanks for appreciating the shot, that's the summicron wide open....that's why we love'em.

Moirée is going to be combination of the "frequency" of the weave of the cloth, the focal length of the lens, the distance from the subject, and finally the "frequency" of the sensor. And the lens must be focused on the cloth.

Frequency I"m using to mean threads per inch and sensor sites per inch.

One of my children remarked that I've never had the problem before because I rarely ever got a shot in focus. And that finally I have learnt what focus means! Checky b*****s.

However going with a father's basic assumption that truth does not come from the mouths of babes and sucklings I am baffled as to why this is now happening to me. My M9 had nearly 11,000 frames on it when it went in for sensor replacement. And I had never had a Moirée effect on a photo with it. I also had far lower noise levels. (Of course this is not a very objective point of view as I had no problems with the camera so did no tests with the old sensor that can act as benchmarks for the new sensor.)

Now I've more noise, starting at 400 asa, and I have had Moirée on sevral occasions. I've sent photos to Leica in Germany and entered into a e-mail conversation with Lothar Luehring. They naturally assure me there is nothing wrong. Are the replacement sensors really the same?

Has anyone else got an M9 with a new sensor? Are you happy with it. Or should I believe the children!

Anyway....nuf of that:
Having posted the shots here I then hunted on Internet for an anti moiréé solution.

The nearest I came to was posted by Darren Bernaerdt at dbphoto.net.
It used Lab colour in Photoshop, and basically uses one of the colour channels to neutralise the Moirée in the luminance channel. The colour interference in the Moirée is removed by averaging the two colour channels. This while it worked on his demo photo did not do much more than the Lightroom Moirée correction on the photo I posted. So I am still looking....

Good moirée solutions anyone?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can try a different RAW/DNG converter; some handle moiré better than others. For example, Capture One is pretty good. There's also DxO Optic, RAW Developer, Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) and Apple RAW to name a few.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:03 am 

Ah, thanks for that, will try some of the demo versions of the other raw converters on my wife's Mac.

I'm still on Vista and Lightroom 4 point something. Need some money in before I can change my computer.....

Thinking of the current M8 "thread" and their demise through lack of parts; computers are worse than M8's and softwares are beginning to resemble butterflies in the length of their lifecycles.