Used M9

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used M9
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:35 pm 

Yesterday I got up very early, called the Leica Shop in Vienna, Austria, and purchased a lightly-used M9 (black finish). Darn near melted my credit card! ("But honey...it's a LEICA!!!!!") Now begins the incessant checking of the tracking number, punctuated by jumping up and running to the front door every time I hear a delivery truck on the street. What wonderful anticipation. ;)

Some may say I'm moving in the wrong direction, in light of the recent brou-ha-ha about the CCD sensor problem. Aside from the fact that I sometimes can't help swimming against the current, I love my M-E, which uses the CCD. I've purchased from the Leica Shop in the past and found their used merchandise to be in exemplary condition. So there.

Post subject: Re: Used M9
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's great, James! Honestly, the M9 (and MM) are the pinnacle of digital Ms if you ask me. I have the pair myself and have no interest in "upgrading" to the M. If I want video, live view, etc. then I'll use a camera more suited to the task. There are some niceties, but not enough to change my mind. Between buying from a dealer and Leica's promise to fix crapped out sensors... I wouldn't worry for a minute. Congrats!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:12 pm 

I did the same James, only I bought from an individual. I went from rangefinder film cameras to Nikon D600 slr all the way back to the M9. I realised I just can't stand all the controls and mad electronic metering on fifty points and focussing on a couple of dozen more, so if I was going to carry on with a digital camera I needed to have one that worked like my M6.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:56 pm 

Some may say I'm swimming against the current, but I'm not swimming alone! I tried out the M at the Leica Store LA: it's a great camera, and I particularly like it's fast cycling and very quiet shutter. Like Double Negative, I have little or no use for a still camera with HD video capture. Somehow I never got into filmmaking or video...I just find more satisfaction working with still images. And like shipaground, I found all the metering and other controls on my old Canon 5D MKII both confusing and distracting. Besides, after hanging that camera from my shoulder and lugging it, with it's 24-70 zoom, all over Venice for 2 weeks, I had a permanent list to starboard. I practically needed physical therapy to stand up straight again.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:55 pm 

The thing about video is that it's damn hard to do properly. The usual careless home video is pure pain to everybody else than the people who were present. On top of the shooting challenge, the edit challenge goes up by a mile.. not only do the proper image tuning but also cut it right etc to make a proper timeline. Not for me either.

I might take a minute or two tourist video, but would never subject anybody else to my "work" for more than a minute or two and even that only if there's been something magnificent happening.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:30 pm 

Very well stated, and right on the money.

I've known a couple of Assistant Directors and Cinematographers, and they told me about the preparation and logistics that go into film- and videomaking. Even relatively low-budget productions (e.g., a short industrial training film) require considerable skill and experience to deliver a satisfactory product which meets at least minimal quality standards.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:28 pm 

Motivated by the August 2017 deadline, I brought my M9 to the Leica Store LA, and they forwarded it to Leica Service in New Jersey to check the sensor. I tested it myself, shooting a cloudless sky with my 35mm Summicron, but the few spots I was able to see were so small I could not tell for sure if any of them were due to corrosion. Fortunately, I have the M-E to use while the M9 is out for service.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 am 

Well, I thought I would have the M-E to use while the sensor in my M9 is being replaced. :shock: I was at Leica Store LA talking with one of the sales reps, and the subject of sending my M-E in for a possible sensor replacement came up, in light of the rapidly-approaching deadline. The rep mentioned that the current turnaround on sensor replacement appears to be about 25 weeks. :( Even if they do better then that with my M9, it looks like I will be Leica-less for months. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 pm 

Why don't you take up Leica on the discounts for another camera? With the M9 gone for ages, seems the better bet.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:51 pm 

And I can whole heartedly recommend the M10. I've been travelling with it now for 4 weeks and it's freaking fantastic.

The ability to change iso without going to menus is great. The new VF is a marvel. And together with the optional grip it feels great in hand even with a big bat like the nocti.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro