the shiny new X2

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the shiny new X2
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm 

Now that things have cooled down a bit and people are getting over their too high hopes..

What do tou think of the new X2?

Personally I see it as a nice upgrade. In many ways x-series seems to make haste in small baby steps like the M-series. Still, all in all I think the X2 upgrades were much more significant than fex. M8 -> M8.2 were. That's also why I don't see eye to eye with all the negativity around it, or the whole may 10th happening. People were just loaded with unfounded high hope. I'd like to try the X2 for sure.

What's your take?

--Juha

Post subject: Re: the shiny new X2
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:54 am 

jlindstrom wrote:
Now that things have cooled down a bit and people are getting over their too high hopes..

What do tou think of the new X2?

Personally I see it as a nice upgrade. In many ways x-series seems to make haste in small baby steps like the M-series. Still, all in all I think the X2 upgrades were much more significant than fex. M8 -> M8.2 were. That's also why I don't see eye to eye with all the negativity around it, or the whole may 10th happening. People were just loaded with unfounded high hope. I'd like to try the X2 for sure.

What's your take?

--Juha

Hi, Juha!

Thank goodness someone has the sense to talk favorably about a great little camera, the X series. I have been using loaner X1's for months now and I can tell you it is a perfect compact camera for what I need and complements the M3 and the IIIF very well.

The X1, like every camera in the world, is not a perfect tool but can work perfectly well. The point is, I buy cameras and use them but only if I love the experience.

When you use the camera you love, you don't care about the warts, blemishes or the age of the camera...(kinda like a marriage). You love it and you bond with it. That is what has happened with me.

At first I was underwhelmed by the X2 with all the stupid hype about interchangeable lenses and such but I am glad Leica is conservative enough to bring about meaningful changes in an evolutionary process while keeping the price the same!

The X2 will be a fantastic camera addition for me down the road.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:01 am 

I expect it to be amazing camera down the road as well. Some of the minor gripes Leica is likely to iron out with firmware updates. If I wasn't on a tight budget, I'd get one immediately.

Was my intention to buy a film RF & upgrade my 50 pre-asph summilux to asph version, but things have since taken a bit of turn.. had a nasty car accident earlier this week (no damages to any person) and it just hit my budget in a big way. Car is likely totalled..

Anyway, this X2 also gave me something to think.. so maybe I'll drop the previous purchase ideas and just get X2 in the future. Then I'll have a even more cionstant companion than M9.

Have to see what future brings :)

--Juha

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:31 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

If had a Leica digital but couldn't afford a second as backup I would definitely consider the new x2 not only as a backup, but probably as my high iso camera for casual night shooting.

Juha, sorry to hear about your car accident, but maybe you're right in now considering the X2. It would make a great companion to your M9 and pre-asph summilux

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:30 pm 

Juha, glad you escaped serious injury in the car accident!

Maybe it is a sign that you don't need the RF+Lux (though I would love it too) and that an X2 is in your future? I have been using the X1 loaners for awhile and I can tell you that the upgrades in the X2 are superb and elegant as the X1 body and image IQ are already top notch. The size of the body with the collapsible lens means I carry it in the Leica case, my mini "fanny pack", with the strap around my neck, or... in my pocket!

Have it with my all the time where as the M3 was left home a lot and the IIIF is a great compact in itself but the X1 is better for color and low light, IMO.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:50 pm 

dave_gt wrote:
Juha, glad you escaped serious injury in the car accident!

Me too!

dave_gt wrote:
Maybe it is a sign that you don't need the RF+Lux (though I would love it too) and that an X2 is in your future? The size of the body with the collapsible lens means I carry it in the Leica case, my mini "fanny pack", with the strap around my neck, or... in my pocket!

No and maybe. I already have the M9 + 50 slux pre-asph and couple of other lenses. So RF + slux stays, thank you! ;-)

But as to the rest of what you'rw saying, that's definitely what got me thinking. For some X2 tasters, search Flickr for a user named "Edopix". He has some samples of it. High iso useable easily until 3200 and after that just convert to b&w. And his samples were shot as jpeg!

He's also commenting on the af being speedy & accurate.

In many ways it's starting to look like many people who attacked the X2 after launch will be eating their words breakfast..

-- Juha

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:41 am 

Just a wild idea.. people were "dreaming" of true X-system with interchangeable lenses etc. What if Leica were to make X2T or similar tele version. Say X2 with 90mm f2.8 to compliment the current X2.

Then those who need more lens choice would have 2 bodies with their own lenses. A truly nice & compact setup for your camera bag and you'd have 35 & 90 focals.

I think it could work :)

Silly idea probably and no very likely to happen though.

--Juha