"Check Battery Age" Warning

It is currently Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Check Battery Age" Warning
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

swamiji wrote:
You may be the cause of this message. Your just not buying enough batteries...

Hey, for the price of these things... I'm okay with that. :p

I also rotate among four batteries, which helps keep the charge cycle count down.

•LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:47 am 

Double Negative wrote:
I also rotate among four batteries, which helps keep the charge cycle count down.

As did I, for my M8/M9/MM (when I had them) and now for my M240/M246. Too bad Leica has switched to a expiry date scenario. Rather than what is best for Li-Ion batteries, number of cycles... :o

Also it seems that Leica is unable to count to four... as the message is given in three years, not their own recommended four years...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:33 pm 

I have been following a more extensive discussion of this battery age warning on the Leica User Forum, & it appears that there are not only batteries that have a date code stamped on them, but also batteries in use that do not have any such code. Those batteries with the date code are the ones that seem to be causing the M 240 to generate the age warning message.

After contacting Leica support about this problem, one of the folks on LUF posted that he was told that it was a firmware problem, & that there might be a firmware update to fix the message/no message issue. He also was told that there was no reason to be concerned about any batteries getting the message, & they could be charged & used as normal. Apparently what wasn't discussed with Leica support was whether there was any change in the user manual's statement about not using the batteries after 4 years.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:20 pm 

As an addendum to my last post, apparently over at LUF it is now being discussed that the batteries without the clearly marked date stamp may have instead the same date info embedded in small print in the plastic housing of the battery. The mystery deepens . . .

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:14 pm 

For those interested in this issue, owner's are reporting that changing the date on the camera may cause the warning message to disappear; also by using the same battery in different cameras of varying ages may also cause the message to disappear. The consensus seems to be that this warning has little or nothing to do with the actual condition of the battery, possibly only the age that the camera using it thinks that it is. And since battery condition really is based more upon charge/discharge cycles than chronological age, all other things being even, it seems a firmware update of some type will be needed to sort it all out. The next move, if any, would seem to need to be made by Leica.

Post subject: "Check Battery Age" Warning
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:22 am 

Well I get the same message on my M240 (3 years old) and the M246 I purchased last summer, on the same battery (5112). So it seems more than one firmware upgrade is in order. Perhaps even the M262...

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:18 am 

Now, four of my five batteries are getting this message on my M246 and M240. How irritating.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:12 pm 

Perusing the Leica User Forum, it appears that the LUF site admin folks have been in touch with Leica about this problem even cropping up on virtually brand new M cameras, & have been told that they are both aware of the problem & intend to fix it in the next firmware release. So stay tuned I guess.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:19 pm 

My M240 and a spare battery were bought from B&H in NewYork, about 22 months ago. Both batteries are showing the same message 'Check battery age'. I called B&H and they were not sympathetic and indicated that anyone with a battery approaching 2 years, should buy a new one (I wonder why they would say that?). I called Leica USA, and they gave a different response. First, they suggested that the battery should get about 3+ years usage. Second, they suggested that the translated wording does not reflect what Leica meant to say. I was told that this message is meant to indicate that you need to do a complete drain-down (emptying) of the battery and then fully charge it. The Leica representative suggestive that if I did this, the message would go away. He said he had advised many others to do this, and as no-one had called back, he assumed that this had solved the problem. I fully drained my battery (using video), and then gave it a full re-charge. The result........the 'check battery age' message remains. However, the battery does not appear to lose its charge or drain more rapidly. I have assumed my batteries may be about 3-years old, even though I bought them new less than two years ago. I suspect the problem is a combination of actual age (rather than length of ownership since 'new'), inappropriate phrasing of the message, and these batteries don't last very long. It would be helpful if the Leica battery charger indicated the percentage of charge on the battery.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One thing to keep in mind about battery "age" is that it's not necessarily how old the batteries are - but the cycles. That is, how many times they've been drained/charged.

•LitPixel