2 More MM pics

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 More MM pics
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 am 

2 More MM pics.
The one of the Nautilus was taken with a Zone Plate than slightly sepia toned.
The Homage to Stieglitz was taken with the 50mm f1.4 Sumilux Asph, antiqued and toned.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 2 More MM pics
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love 'em! Looks like you're really taking to the Monochrom... And using some creative techniques too.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: major changes in philosophy & equipment
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:46 pm 

Getting much older has caused me to do some major reassessing when it comes to both my "Photography" and equipment.
I am fortunate enough (And a curses at times) that if I see something that I like I can easily purchase it. To that end I found myself with way to much equipment.
As an example, 6 months ago I had a full M9 kit with a 1/2 dozen lenses, a Canon 5D Mark III and assorted lenses, a Nikon Df, with assorted lenses. Since I had a ton of old Ai Lenses I thought I could now uses them), a Fuji X-Pro 1, Fuji X-E1, and just recently got the X-T1 and every lens that Fuji produces, along with a Leica V-Lux 4 and a D-Lux 6 & digital finder. Kind of sick actually!
This in turn caused my photography kind of suffered, as I had no ideas as to what to use, kind of like information overload.
I ended up selling the full Leica M9 kit as I was afraid to use it most of the time.

So now I decided to get rid of almost all, sold the V-Lux 4, D-Lux 6, Nikon Df, Fuji X-Pro 1, X-E1 and all of the lenses except the X-T and the 18-55mm and kept the Leica M adapter.

Purchased a new Nikon D800 for color work and the Leica Monochrom with the 50 f1.4, 35mm f2 Asph and the Tri-Elmar 28-35-50 for all (Obviously) B&W work. Feels good!Cant wait to get back to the basics!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:48 pm 

Stefano, you do seem quite lucky with being able to get what you desire. And I also believe one should always use the kit they feel they can connect with.

But at the same time it's surprising you felt afraid to use the M9 and now you use the even more expensive MM..

Anyway, I've gone through a somewhat similar "trip" though not quite as expensive and through a slightly longer perioid of time. Now have the M240 and 2 lenses for it. I'll propably add a third lens at some point and then hipe Leica to produce a X3 sometime.. or get another X2 as pocket camera. After all the camera swapping I feel that's about the perfect kit for me.

Had a kit like that around the M9 earlier, but foolishly went after the latest&greatest and swapped all for full blown A7r kit. Turned out a disaster.. so back to M fold and rebuilding my previous kit, with some updates and fine tuning.

Not rich by any means, but let's say lucky enough to sometimes treat myself with something nice..

But I think that applies to pretty much everybody who can afford a new Leica rangefinder!

In the end there's still only two things that matter: that you feel great about your choices and your pictures (which are fantastic btw).

With these words, welcome to La Vida Leica!

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:59 pm 

Tanks Juha,
The reason for the Monochrom is that I will be pretty much forced to use it for my B&W work. True I can use the D800 or the XT-1, but there is nothing like the feel of an M for B&W. At one time, many years ago I worked as a photojournalist, and back than B&W is all I did. So I am forcing myself to go back to those roots.
Actually I hear that Nikon is coming out with the new D820 with no pass through filter, might trade in the D800 for it, giving me more options. I can say that I have been amazed at the quality of the Fuji XT-1, both in color and B&W.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:10 am 

The MM is certainly special in the right hands. For me it's an interesting product.. it's too expensive to buy since I don't really do bw, but on the other hand would be interesting to try.

I've also thought about getting a film Leica and trying bw that way. Would be a lot cheaper, but I'm also a lazy git so fiddling about with developing my own films etc might turn out too much for me.

I guess I'll just try jpeg+raw in the M240 and set the jpeg for bw. That should get me started :-)

About the Nikon, I think it was already published - a Nikon D810. They say it's the Nikon D800 on steroids with many improvements and no AA filter at all.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:37 am 

Hi Juha,
If you are thinking about film, one option would be to do a 1/2 & 1/2, meaning shoot B&W film, you can easily process that yourself, you do not need darkroom, just a changing bag to load the film on to a steel or plastic reel, and than develop the negs yourself. Then with a decent film scanner you can scan the negs.
I just recently did that with well over several thousand transparencies and negs that were taking up space. I did not save all of them, just the ones that I thought worth keeping.

Stefano