Reduce and Sharpen for the Web

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reduce and Sharpen for the Web
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 am 

Reduce and Sharpen for the Web.
I have been disappointed by the results of M9 images that contain lots of fine details and reducing them to display on the web. They tend to break apart and look very coarse and rather ugly to my taste...
If this subject is a rehash on a thread that has been covered before, my apologies.
After lots of hunting and questioning others on the best way to do this I have I think put something together that may be a reasonable solution.
I am no expert in PS and so there are probably better/quicker ways to get the same result.
Some of the steps may be superfluous and the amounts in the params may need your own input for preference.
It would be better to do this as an Action and save it for rapid application.
Here goes.
No prior sharpening to image on leaving PS or LR.
Duplicate the image on a New Layer > Filter > Other > Highpass 2.0 pix.
Image > Adjustments > Desaturate. > On the same Layer > Blending Mode to Overlay leave at 100%.
Image Size > Percent 20% > Interpolation: Bicubic (Best for Smooth Gradients).
Again Filter > USM 35, 0.3, 0 on the Layer (adjust to taste) > Layers > Flatten Image.
Edit > Convert to Profile > sRGB and Save the file with a new name…

I would welcome some input on this to improve the result even more, give it a go and let me know. If you like or not. If you do, enjoy if not, tough luck...;-)

Post subject: Re: Reduce and Sharpen for the Web
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting! I know what you mean; web-sized images do lose a lot of that "zing" that M images have - namely, sharpness that just keeps on going.

My usual method is to do a "Smart Sharpen" (via PS) using the settings 20% (Amount) and 0.3px (Radius). I used to use USM... In any event, keep the sharpening down in less organic, more hard-edged shots (e.g. architecture, diagonal lines, etc.). With better lenses I generally don't need to sharpen at all!

I'll have to try the method you outline above. Do you have any sample images to go along?

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:03 pm 
I have a very simple workflow that works perfectly in CS6 (but not in earlier versions ???)
In image size enter the pixel size required, select Bicubic, reduce, Smart sharpen 15-25 %, fade shadows 100% and play a bit with the radius.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pretty similar... Perhaps different "recipes." Interesting that you fade the shadows - to reduce sharpening of noise I'd assume?

I like to generally amp the contrast in my workflow with a slight "S" curve. The shadows get a tiny bit darker which hides most noise - while the highlights get a little kick.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:21 pm 
Again I am lazy, I use the linear or medium presets in curves and tweak using the shifting arrow on the image.
On sharpening: I am very precise in using the sharpening and noise sliders in ACR. I find that getting those right is essential for the rest of the process. I found the book by Fraser and Schewe an eyeopener. I was just floundering in sharpening before I read it, but I did not know I was.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found a bit of an "intro" called "Image Sharpening - Make It Really Sharp" (PDF) by them, but I assume you mean the actual book called "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom." Interesting. I might have to check that out.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:32 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

Even though my digital work flow is about 5% right now, I just bought a copy...I'm sure it will enlighten me even if I am working with scans

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm 
Indeed it will. It has a chapter dedicated to the subject.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 pm 
Double Negative wrote:
I found a bit of an "intro" called "Image Sharpening - Make It Really Sharp" (PDF) by them, but I assume you mean the actual book called "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom." Interesting. I might have to check that out.

Yes, I do. I cannot recommend it highly enough.