The Music Man

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Music Man
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:34 am 

M240, ZM 1.5/50

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: The Music Man
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:08 pm 

Great portrait! Nice range of values in the darks, and the expression and gesture are right on the money. Do you recall any of the technical details for this photograph?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:29 pm 

James Lehrer wrote:
Great portrait! Nice range of values in the darks, and the expression and gesture are right on the money. Do you recall any of the technical details for this photograph?

Thanks James.
According to the metadata ISO 800, 1/250 and wide open, but I am pretty sure I had closed down a stop or so.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:18 pm 

It reminds me of a book I had, years ago, on making candid photographs of theatre, night club and musical performers. It was illustrated with evocative portraits like this one, and I particularly remember it's advice to use a Leica rangefinder, both for the quiet shutter and the bright viewfinder. That was back in my M4-P days, with Tri-X pushed to 800.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:49 am 

This guy was sitting for us at a camera club session. Not ideal in that there was a lot going on in the well lit room and he was under a pair of randomly set up continuous lights with about ten people trying photograph him. This was just a snap shot in passing, which luckily turned out OK.
I used to take a lot of stage shots at one time when I ran a theatre, but that was before my Leica days. Lighting is always a challenge on stage but good fun.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:09 pm 

I know what you mean about challenging lighting in theatres. Way back in high school I took Play Production classes, and I always had my Dad's Leica IIIg and collapsible Summar 50mm at hand (when I wasn't on stage performing). In theatre the subjects are always glad to be photographed, and candids are very welcome for their portfolios or scrapbooks. When I got to university, I continued to photograph aspiring actors and actresses as a way to earn extra money.

What kind of theatre did you run?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:24 am 

James Lehrer wrote:

What kind of theatre did you run?

It was a small receiving theatre, staging touring variety and pop shows, the occasional play and quite a bit of amateur stuff.
It also had a summer season variety show for the holidaymakers, being in a coastal resort.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:51 pm 

That sounds very interesting. Did you manage front office, stage, or...? What kind of camera/film did you use for stage shots?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:49 am 

James Lehrer wrote:
That sounds very interesting. Did you manage front office, stage, or...? What kind of camera/film did you use for stage shots?

I was the theatre administrator, but apart from the box office girls and a cleaner was the only full time employee, so basically I did everything except work on the technical side. Although I did stage manage on occasions.
I started taking stage pics with a Nikon D70, which I still own, and a handful of primes, moving on over the years to a D2Xs, D750 and D3200. I stuck with the primes other than a 70-300 zoom.
When I took photos of the last Youth Group's production, which my wife directs, I had the latter three cameras on the go. D750 with a 21mm Voigtlander on a tripod prefocussed and operated by remote for full stage shots, the D2Xs with a 50mm f1.8 on a monopod and the D3200 around my neck with the 70-300. That was great fun.
I've yet to use the Leica but might give it a go when the group performs 'Oliver' in the Spring of 2017.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great shot!

• LitPixel