M 240 at Radio Control WarBirds Event

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M 240 at Radio Control WarBirds Event
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:31 pm 

This last weekend the radio control aircraft club that I belong to hosted an event featuring warbirds, i.e., scale models of aircraft that flew in any of the wars since WWI, where military aircraft were first used. In our desert’s mild winter skies, there were an abundance of replicas in the air or on the ground, but all capable of being flown using a radio control transmitter by the pilot on the flightline.

Since I am grounded due to shoulder surgery, I brought my M 240 with just two Leica lenses, a Summarit 35mm & a Tele-Elmarit 90mm. Here are a few photos where the static displays were taken mostly with the 35mm & the airborne shots mostly with the Tele-Elmarit. Probably can’t call these photographs "street photography" – maybe "taxiway photography". I did quite a lot of this when I had my DSLR, but I am now getting adjusted to using my more sedate & also more capable rangefinder. And I tried spot metering using a cloudy white balance setting to warm up the colors a bit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: M 240 at Radio Control WarBirds Event
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:33 pm 

Since the editor only allows me to post 3 images, here are three more.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:31 pm 

Thanks for sharing, Jed. I can really see how much attention to detail went into those aircraft. The shot of the aircraft in flight is cool!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 pm 

I was panning with the red British Vampire jet as it was doing about 100mph on that low pass, but my full size DNG file is still a lot clearer that what was posted. You can almost see the concentration & tension on the pilot & his spotter. The biplane (a US Curtiss Hawk) was only doing about 30-40mph, so it was easier to nail. Some of the detail is amazing - I wouldn't want to fly them for fear of crashing.