Nikon Df

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nikon Df
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:50 am 

Have to say, even though SLR's haven't been up my alley for quite some time, the Nikon Df concept at rumor stage was very appealing. To think of a small film slr size camera with all the modern crap removed was quite ideal. My expectation was something along the lines of M9 ideology in SLR world with furiously fast AF. Or maybe I should say Leica R in digital from + fast AF.

What a dissapointment.. it has 95% of all the crap still included. They just removed video and think it's now somehow "pure photography". It's still unnecessarily bulky, has all the modern controls + old controls, no split screen for manual focus.. What a glorious opportunity missed!

I'm thinking all things considered the Nikon D610 is far more pleasing value proposition than this "fake simplicity".

Me + slr = still no go!

With all this, I think the next thing to do at some poi t is to upgrade wife's camera from old nex to A7 or A7r.

How is everybody else here feeling?

//Juha

Post subject: Re: Nikon Df
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd have to agree… That little piece of leatherette on top isn't fooling anyone. It might be "retro styled" but it's certainly not in function, let alone with all those dials and buttons.

I'd like to see something like a full frame, digital Pentax K-1000.

The Sony A7R is looking really interesting… And you can adapt M lenses to it easily enough as well. I'm not looking to start another lens collection!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:12 am 

Been thinking about this more and more lately. I think they should make a special Dfe version without AA-filter. That would boost the 24mp sensor nicely.

Also drop more of the crap..

The reg. the A7r, it's turning out to be in the "close, but no cigar" sector as well. Reports say it's not playing nicely with M-lenses for example. And also their native lens lineup seems to leave people in the cold.. RX1 fex seems to trump the A7r +35/2.8 combo.

I'm still thinking someone should make an R7 with ridiculously fast AF. 1-point AF is enough. Split screen for manual focus. Big & bright VF ala Leica R. Modern metering ala Nikon. No flash built-in, but offer separate flashes in various sizes with tilt&swivel.

A real plain jane modern dslr with excellent manual focus and VF.

Size of the Df is quite fine.. smaller/lighter is better, but Df is already manageable size.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:14 pm 

It was all marketing hype and the real intended audience probably in East Asia looking for bling.

A recycled sensor now 2 years old, a consumer grade AF system along with a body from the parts bin for the D600. NO focus aids for manual focus glass.

Form over substance