Are you polite or rude on the street?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are you polite or rude on the street?
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:27 pm 

I try to photograph people as part of something else interesting. Still, I use a 75 or 90mm when I have 'people' in mind because it removes me just a bit more from their space.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:05 pm 

Polite. Always. Try to disappear. If you hang around long enough, they stop seeing you. Although it's interesting - I shoot a lot in Hollywood. Every tourist on the street has a camera, so I try to look like them. The hawkers and street people, though, know the difference. Sometimes they'll give you a look - I've had smiles and frowns. But never trouble (knock on wood).

If I'm on the move and see a shot, I'm pretty bold.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As the saying goes, "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar." But that depends entirely on the situation... :P

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 am 

I take the photograph by stealth approach in order to get photos of people in their unguarded moments with their defenses down. This is how you get to the essence of the person rather than getting the contrived facade that people present if you ask to photograph them before releasing the shutter.

I use a 28mm lens for probably 80% of my street photography and a 50mm for the rest so I'm getting close to my subjects not sniping from afar with a long telephoto lens.

I am discovered from time to time but have never had what I consider a real confontation. A discussion from time to time but no real verbal (or otherwise) in your face confrontations - so I suppose my methodology could be considered effective or successful.

If someone decided to be aggressive and demand that I hand over my roll of film with their photo on it, I would not be rude - but I would make it clear to them in no uncertain terms that they have no lawful right to make such a demand and that it simply isn't 't going to happen.

-Basho Matsuo

Post subject: Are you polite or rude on the street?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:08 pm 

Hello.

I'm polite. Problem is, I'm too polite.

If I point the camera at someone when they're not looking, then they see me, I try to pretend there's dust on the lens or a technical problem :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:41 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

I can be like that at times, then some days I just don't care if they see me or not :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The "in your face" approach can be intimidating if you're just out and about on the street. I find it easier to do at events (e.g. parades and such) as people almost expect it and you can blend into the crowd while they're distracted.

Shooting "from the hip" is another good approach (but does take practice to aim properly and be reasonably level). A bit more confident of a technique is to quickly raise the camera to your eye to frame and shoot, then right back down. You'll get more keepers using this method. Both require presetting focus and exposure.

Street isn't really my forté either, but I've been shooting more and more of it. Your confidence builds with time!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:29 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
Street isn't really my forté either, but I've been shooting more and more of it. Your confidence builds with time!
My experience was that I came to the point where I wanted to do street photography more than I wanted to be nervous about doing it. I sort of made myself work through the jitters and before long, I was no longer afraid of people's reactions. As Garry Winogrand said, "I want to make pictures, not friends." I can see his point - I already have friends. It's photographs that I want.

I have had a few conversations with people about why I took their pictures or about what I'm doing, about what street photography is, etc. I am upfront and do not get defensive or nervous and simply explain what I'm doing and why. I have never been yelled at, threatened, chased, had someone try to coerce me into giving them my film, etc.

It doesn't hurt to carry a small album of 4x6 inch prints in your camera bag to show people your street photography if they ask questions. I also carry a few of my 6x8 inch postcards with my contact information and website address with one of my images on the card.

These little things will establish you in their minds as a serious and legitimate photographer and not some shady type who lurks in the shadows and photographs people for nefarious puropses.

-Basho Matsuo

Post subject: Are you polite or rude on the street?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:02 pm 

The only problem with that is I 'always' find the people who like to talk and talk and talk and . . .

Took a photo of this old guy in Liverpool once. The light was fading so wanted to get as much shooting in as possible. He see's me and comes over. Turns out he used to do street 'in his younger days'. He thought the M8 was an M3 and that was it. 40 minutes later, I escaped. It was now pitch black. I went to the pub :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:02 pm 

I try to be pretty stealthy when I do street shooting. I am always polite when I get to talking, but I try to avoid being noticed as I am quite shy as a matter of course.

Jeremy